Paypal Introducing Free Return Shipping for Customers

Saw this banner when I logged into my Paypal account this morning. Paypal is offering a Free Refunded Return Shipping until 31 July 2015.

Read through the notice and their terms and conditions. Can someone confirm for me that the shipping costs for returned goods will be borne by Paypal and not taken off from Sellers?

Just want to make sure it's not another one of those marketing ploys....

https://www.paypal.com.au/banners/

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Just had a quick glance and as you have to add their banner to your web site I would think it would not apply to sellers on ebay but only to ebay themselves if they paid the cost of returns which of course they don't..

See what a trendsetter I am?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member
As far as I can tell from having thoroughly read the T&Cs, it appears that Paypal covers all costs in total with no impost on the seller at all. Apparently the sellers' only obligation is to register for the service with Paypal and add one of their banners to their listings. There are no further costs involved.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Just had a quick glance and as you have to add their banner to your web site I would think it would not apply to sellers on ebay but only to ebay themselves if they paid the cost of returns which of course they don't..

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member
As far as I can tell from having thoroughly read the T&Cs, it appears that Paypal covers all costs in total with no impost on the seller at all. Apparently the sellers' only obligation is to register for the service with Paypal and add one of their banners to their listings. There are no further costs involved.
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Thank you very much to both of you for your replies. Smiley Happy

Good point, PJ for bringing up the point that it may not be applicable for eBay Sellers. May have to call up Paypal to check about that.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I think that activation is for the buyer only, all the terms relate to a refund for the buyer. I think this is just a sneaky way to "get a foot in the door" to start charging the seller for return postage through paypal. Why is it free to a certain date I wonder and what will the costs be after that.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

I have just emailed Paypal with the following questions..

Good evening,

Could I please have a number of items regarding the new “PayPal Returns” confirmed for us please.

1. Who will be covering said costs?
  2. If the seller is covering said costs, will Paypal be providing a G.S.T. Tax invoice for these services?
  3. If Paypal is not providing a G.S.T. Tax Invoice, who will be claiming G.S.T. on said expenses and how will Paypal prove these costs have actually occurred?
  4. How will Paypal handle claims if we decide to remove all “change of mind” returns we already provide from our listings?
  5. We already provide a Free “Reply Paid” return service for damaged, faulty or not as described items, will we still be able to provide this service?

Kind regards,

See what comes of it!

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Agreed dylan11235813  !  It's always about making more money for them in the long run... 'business is business' they don't really care about the sellers

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

the way I read it, it applies to any customer using paypal. They register at the time of payment to qualify
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

You have to wonder about these EBay/Pay Pal surveys/research results - did they really expect buyers to say they'd rather pay for return postage/shipping upon returning an item ?

"Research has shown that customers who are offered a free return shipping service increase their future spending at that merchant by 158%-457%. Conversely, those who have to pay for returns decrease their future spending with that merchant by 75%-100%.2 "

Of course buyers prefer a "Free Return Shipping Service", better still they prefer to get their items for free as well - but wait that is already happening - it is just getting more accommodating this way .............

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

This is the company providing the actual service:

The Service is provided by CallPoint New Europe AD (trading as TELUS International Europe) (the "Service Provider") on behalf of PayPal Pte. Ltd. CallPoint New Europe AD is registered in Bulgaria under no. 9829/2004, VAT BG175138361, with head office at 115K Tsarigradsko Chaussee Blvd., Sofía 1784, Bulgaria.

Good luck to those brave/stupid ? enough to sign up for this new Pay Pal Service ..............

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply