Paypal holding my funds for 21 days or more?

00-nzl
Community Member

Hi Ebayers,

It has been a while since I've sold something on ebay and after spending last weekend photographing and listing in anticipation of earning some extra dollars for Xmas, I now find that my dollars earnt from the sales are being held by Paypal for 21 days.  After following the instructions to speed up the process (express postage with a tracking id) it hasn't shortened the length of time that i need to wait.

I find this most annoying and this isn't made obvious when listing.  The downside to this is I'm out of pocket for postage AND ebay selling fees before I even get my funds.  

Dear Ebay - I will not be selling on your site again and intend to cancel all other  auctions that are in process, I think this recent move has killed the fun for home consumers selling their knick knacks around the house.  Having to wait 21 days whilst you sit on my money is ridiculous.  Wonder what Paypal does with my funds during that 21 days of holding?  Sure as **bleep** I wont see any interest from it!

I think I'll go to Gumtree, no fees, cash payments and less bs.

Todd

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

for a start  why are you questinig ebay  paypal is a seperate company  also gumtree is owned by ebay.

if you look at previous posts you will find some answeres about getting your 21days  to a lot less, look in the past threads,

Message 2 of 45
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The 21 hold was introduced for new sellers and sellers who had not sold for some time.  By your own admission you have not sold for some time.

As Joe says, there are ways round the problem if you take the time to read the boards.

Message 3 of 45
Latest reply

I find this most annoying and this isn't made obvious when listing.

Actually, when my funds were being held on my newer selling ID, every single listing I ceated had a warning at the submit point that said something along the lines of "Funds from the sale of this listing may be held for 21 days" (I don't remember the exact wording, it was a few months back now). Perhaps you missed the warning?

The hold is only in place until you start to earn some positive feedback (25 good reports I think). 

While you may find it annoying, I'm sure all the buyers who get burned by fly by nighters who take the money and run, have more to be annoyed about.

You can try complaining to the Financial Ombudsman (FOS), that sometimes works, particularly if you ring Paypal and tell them you have lodged a complaint.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 4 of 45
Latest reply

Actually it's close to 5 years since PayPal introduced the 21 days holding policy, right or wrong. Certainly not recently.

It only usually happens once or when a seller hasn't been active for a while.

Good luck with Gumtree AKA Scamtree.

I'd sooner pay PayPal and eBay fees and have a few guarantees than take my chances elsewhere.

Message 5 of 45
Latest reply

I thinkit was November last year that the hold came in. I'll check my second account when I'm back on my computer because the hold came in a couple of weeks after I created that account. 

Message 6 of 45
Latest reply

@00-nzl wrote:

Hi Ebayers,

It has been a while since I've sold something on ebay and after spending last weekend photographing and listing in anticipation of earning some extra dollars for Xmas, I now find that my dollars earnt from the sales are being held by Paypal for 21 days.  After following the instructions to speed up the process (express postage with a tracking id) it hasn't shortened the length of time that i need to wait.

I find this most annoying and this isn't made obvious when listing.  The downside to this is I'm out of pocket for postage AND ebay selling fees before I even get my funds.  

Dear Ebay - I will not be selling on your site again and intend to cancel all other  auctions that are in process, I think this recent move has killed the fun for home consumers selling their knick knacks around the house.  Having to wait 21 days whilst you sit on my money is ridiculous.  Wonder what Paypal does with my funds during that 21 days of holding?  Sure as **bleep** I wont see any interest from it!

I think I'll go to Gumtree, no fees, cash payments and less bs.

Todd

I think sadly Ebay/payapl are aiming the site to volume sellers but you do, well I did, decrease the wait by adding tracking and putting it on the paypal site. I sold my first package item today originally the funds would be held until Dec 2nd (21 days) after adding the tracking it is now Nov 25th(14 days). I think for people aiming at mass selling it want be a big problem but I 100% agree for people wanting to make a bit of extra cash by selling a few things they have laying around it will be a killer, which is a shame as that is what EBay originally was about. 

Message 7 of 45
Latest reply

If you send with tracking and the tracking number shows as delivered, call PayPal and get them to check the tracking number. They'll then release your funds while you are on the phone. Yes, it's annoying to have to call them each time, but it's only for 3 months.

Message 8 of 45
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

If you send with tracking and the tracking number shows as delivered, call PayPal and get them to check the tracking number. They'll then release your funds while you are on the phone. Yes, it's annoying to have to call them each time, but it's only for 3 months.

For me personally the wait want cause much of a difference but that is handy to know I am sure will be usefull for people selling a few items here and there.

Message 9 of 45
Latest reply

Tried that all they do is pass you on to someone else who then passes you on to someone else.

Message 10 of 45
Latest reply