Paypal withholding money

Paypal has withheld my funds on my last two sales - it had never happened to me before. Paypal is getting interest on our money for 21 days, when we should be getting the interest.

I believe this is illegal and I am seriously annoyed!!!

Is anyone up to date on what is going on with the complaints to the Financial Services Ombudsman?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Paypal withholding money

Judging by your feedback history, it looks like you haven't sold much in the last six months, and have now started selling again.  Paypal holds funds for up to 21 days for all new accounts, and those who have not sold for a while, until you have a few sales and prove you can be a responsible seller.  I recently started a second ID and despite a 10 year spotless record on my main ID (using the same paypal acct) they are still holding my funds from sales on the new ID.

For me, it's not worth my time arguing as I don't need the funds immediately anyway, but if you want to argue, call them and ask them to lift the hold, tell them why you believe it should not apply to you, and if they won't help, tell them you will be lodging a complaint with the FOS, that often works.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Paypal withholding money

Thanks for your reply!

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Paypal withholding money

... and if that deos not work right away actually lodge the complaint with the FOS.

That definitley will get your funds released within 48-hours as ours did.

And they never held any of ours again after that.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Paypal withholding money

clarry do you know how many sales you have to have for a year, as I was going to keep my first ID for just buying, but then wondered about that, not getting many sales anyway , should I keep trying to sell on it.
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Paypal withholding money

No I don't know a figure. Over a year we probably average about 100 items per week.

We have a total of 5x selling IDs.

Three of those are long term, so when they held funds on the newest ID we opened up we cited the fact that our other long term selling IDs were a testament to our experience.

They still did not release the funds so we lodged a complaint with the FOS.

That got the funds releaseed within 48-hours and they have left us alone since then.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Paypal withholding money

Who/What is FOS ?

eBay/Paypal are frustrating me so much lately. They also hold my funds for 21 days. I have 2 ID`s, one for BIN listings and one for Auction listings. Both have 100% positive feedback. My other ID (not the one I am writing this from) has approx 180 Positives in the past 12 months. I generally sell 15 to 20 items a month on it. In their wisdom, last 2 months they decided to "below average" seller due to 4.7 DSR on postage time. The first month they dropped my available listings from 1200/$11500 to 60/$800, then last month dropped it further, to 30/$600. Now for the good bit, at the same time, they have made me a Power Seller.

Go figure, I`m a Power Seller but can only sell 30 items a month. Can`t see me keeping my Power Seller icon long based on that

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Paypal withholding money

I have an account (used for selling only, opened over 10 years ago) that I hadn't put anything up for sale for over 6 months on it. Recently I listed and sold some items on that account and thought I may be subject to the 21 day hold but I wasn't.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Paypal withholding money

Thats good to know, I started in 2003, and a power seller, have only sold 133 items , well thats the ones who left back in the last year,

So will keep a few items on, and see how it goes, thanks.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Paypal withholding money

Who/What is FOS ?  -  Financial Ombudsman Service.

To the OP - 

PayPal's policy - 

Typically, you can access these payments in 21 days or even sooner if you follow good shipping practices. To help get your funds faster, please note the following:

• If you provide tracking information and we can confirm delivery, your payment should be available 3 days after delivery.
  • If you don’t upload tracking, but mark the item as shipped in ‘My eBay’, your payment should be available 7 days after your latest estimated delivery date.
  • If you fulfill the order, but don’t provide any shipping information, your payment should be available after 21 days, as long as your buyer doesn’t report a problem with the transaction.
image host
Message 10 of 15
Latest reply