Please Raise Your Voice to Stop Blood Sucking Fees on Postage Cost

Respected All ebay sellers, Please Raise Your Voice to Stop Blood Sucking Fees on Postage Cost - I want to draw your kind attention to ebay's wrong policy which push us to pay more fees to them. It was started in May-2014 they implemented fees on postage cost which is 8.5%, before they were charging fees only on item cost, which is al-right, but postage cost is not the profit making thing so, how can they charge fees on it. I want to give the reason for it, they want to double the profit by this simple act for example - I sell most items for A$ 8.00 - before May-14, I was paying fees 8.5% for that cost only, I didn't have any problem for it, but when they started to charge fees on postage cost I have to pay fees 8.5% for postage cost which is A$ 7.45 for regular and A$ 10.20 for express , (means sometimes it is more that item fees, on express post service .) I charge actual postage cost to buyers for parcels, so, how can I afford to pay more fees ? Another reason for implementing this fees, which most of sellers doesn't know, the logic behind it - The main thing is - Australia post increases postage cost every year so, ebay will get big benefit from it automatically, without changing their fees. ebay says - 60% sellers giving free postage ( How many out of them are Australian sellers ? ), it is choice of seller , he will send item for free if he can afford it but it is not a logic to charge fees or push small sellers to pay fees for it. If I will have to offer free postage, I have to double my item cost, which is one type of suicide for me, and many other sellers. I hope you will understand the problem and give pressure to ebay to remove fees on postage cost, I am not worried about the fees they charge on item cost, but I am worried about the fees which is not the part of profit for me at least . I am sure your support will stop this blood sucking activities. I sent them emails form beginning to remove this fees but they have thick skin, they don't want to listen it, so, now I have only way to complaint you for this big matter, which will give relief to millions of small sellers.

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

For the nth time -

eBay offer a postage service through Australia Post. This allows them - which the Government AND the ACCC have confirmed - to charge commission on postage. The eBay postage service is approximately 10% cheaper than the equivalent AP service (except for B1 boxes, which are about 40% cheaper), so if you use them you are no worse off than before. If you don't, that is your choice.

Message 11 of 43
Latest reply

You can just add ebay fees to postage as handling fee.

regarding free postage that ebay forces sellers to offer. I consider it as a total disrespect to my buyers. There is no such thing as free postage. If you offer it you just add it to the item price and you have to do it at maximum possible rate within Australia because you cannot know in advance who buys it.
So in some cases you overcharge the buyers who are close to you and you overcharge a lot those who buying multiple items from you. You cannot adjust the invoice in this case because ebay does not apply discount to anything but postage which is 0 on the invoice with free postage offer. And if you refund excessive postage cost you will have to gothrough the pain of asking ebay to change their fees on sold item because of the refund. 

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 12 of 43
Latest reply

I charge actual postage cost for parcels

I can never understand why anyone would do this unless they are addiing the item price for the extra. If I see a seller charge actual postage cost then my first thought is they are either giving thing away for nothing, which would make them silly, or they are not spending any time or materials on the packaging and it is not going to arrive in the best of condition.

While I don't charge a lot extra for my time, stchels, ziplock bags, compliments slips, tissue paper and labels it doesn't add a lot to individual parcels as I buy in bulk and I have never had a buyer complain about or mark my stars down for postage.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 13 of 43
Latest reply

@ozstockman wrote:

You can just add ebay fees to postage as handling fee.

regarding free postage that ebay forces sellers to offer. I consider it as a total disrespect to my buyers. There is no such thing as free postage. If you offer it you just add it to the item price and you have to do it at maximum possible rate within Australia because you cannot know in advance who buys it.
So in some cases you overcharge the buyers who are close to you and you overcharge a lot those who buying multiple items from you. You cannot adjust the invoice in this case because ebay does not apply discount to anything but postage which is 0 on the invoice with free postage offer. And if you refund excessive postage cost you will have to gothrough the pain of asking ebay to change their fees on sold item because of the refund. 

Forces? You sure?

Link to this REQUIREMENT please.

Can't find it? Funny about that.

Message 14 of 43
Latest reply

to beauty and op  [read davewills post]   

Message 15 of 43
Latest reply

really I'm not forced, I still have price plus postage on everything besides stuff that goes in envelopes
Message 16 of 43
Latest reply

regarding free postage that ebay forces sellers to offer. I consider it as a total disrespect to my buyers

But you don't offer free postage on all your items.

Message 17 of 43
Latest reply

I'm certainly not forced to offer free postage and neither is anyone else. It's a personal choice. I offer free post (or postage included if that makes you feel better) on items that go via large letter because the cost of stamps is usually no more than $1.40. I make a large enough profit on those items whereby the cost of the stamps and the few cents for the padded bag pay for themselves.

Anything that is more than 20mm, or is fragile, goes via parcel rate. All of my items are under 500g so postage is the same regardless of where in the country the buyer is. The only time it goes over 500g is if a buyer buys multiple items. When I send the invoice, I adjust the postage rate accordingly for where it has to go to.

Sellers who offer free postage on everything, including parcels, have the advantage of making extra profit on multiple purchases. If they have added say $7 to each item to cover postage and the buyer buys 5 things, then they get to pocket the extra profit from the included postage. The buyers don't care, all they see is "free postage".

If your conscience is playing up on you, refund the extra postage minus the fees.

Message 18 of 43
Latest reply

eBay will tell you that they charge fees on postage to stop sellers selling items for $1 and then charging huge amounts on postage. Ie $1.00 item, $50 postage 

i don't believe this for a second. More like when they decided to sell off Paypal and become separate companies, they are no longer getting their cut of fees. Paypal fees are charged on the total amount received, ie item cost and postage. So that eBay don't miss out they start charging fees on postage.

if the fees on postage were, say 2.5% I wouldn't have a problem with it. But as mentioned above, there is the 10% reduction In Postage costs so until they take that away it's pretty much the same as paying postage at the PO.

Message 19 of 43
Latest reply

I dunno about you guys but I just increased the price of my item. I still get sales
Message 20 of 43
Latest reply