Please Raise Your Voice to Stop Blood Sucking Fees on Postage Cost

Respected All ebay sellers, Please Raise Your Voice to Stop Blood Sucking Fees on Postage Cost - I want to draw your kind attention to ebay's wrong policy which push us to pay more fees to them. It was started in May-2014 they implemented fees on postage cost which is 8.5%, before they were charging fees only on item cost, which is al-right, but postage cost is not the profit making thing so, how can they charge fees on it. I want to give the reason for it, they want to double the profit by this simple act for example - I sell most items for A$ 8.00 - before May-14, I was paying fees 8.5% for that cost only, I didn't have any problem for it, but when they started to charge fees on postage cost I have to pay fees 8.5% for postage cost which is A$ 7.45 for regular and A$ 10.20 for express , (means sometimes it is more that item fees, on express post service .) I charge actual postage cost to buyers for parcels, so, how can I afford to pay more fees ? Another reason for implementing this fees, which most of sellers doesn't know, the logic behind it - The main thing is - Australia post increases postage cost every year so, ebay will get big benefit from it automatically, without changing their fees. ebay says - 60% sellers giving free postage ( How many out of them are Australian sellers ? ), it is choice of seller , he will send item for free if he can afford it but it is not a logic to charge fees or push small sellers to pay fees for it. If I will have to offer free postage, I have to double my item cost, which is one type of suicide for me, and many other sellers. I hope you will understand the problem and give pressure to ebay to remove fees on postage cost, I am not worried about the fees they charge on item cost, but I am worried about the fees which is not the part of profit for me at least . I am sure your support will stop this blood sucking activities. I sent them emails form beginning to remove this fees but they have thick skin, they don't want to listen it, so, now I have only way to complaint you for this big matter, which will give relief to millions of small sellers.

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

to beauty  if i was you instead of complaining on here, contact ebay and say [ instead of charging me 8.5% on postage charges and then giving me a discount on your site of aprox 10% discount , ..could you only give me a discount of 8.5% please. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

have a nice day

Message 21 of 43
Latest reply

I've made peace with the fees on postage. However, the one thing that really annoys me is that they're non-refundable, even if you refund part or all of the postage that the buyer pays.

No matter how many messages I put in my listings, on my store page, on the invoices, people still pay for multiple items without waiting for an invoice. In all cases, I refund the excess postage minus fees.

My eBay shows the adjusted postage prices after I've issued partial refunds, so it wouldn't be difficult to automatically refund the portion of the FVF to my account.

Imagine how much money they're making from that alone.

Message 22 of 43
Latest reply

fair enough    buyers have a habit of paying before you send an invoice.

Message 23 of 43
Latest reply

To use the term "free postage" in a listing is an option only and if you use it in your listings they appear higher in the 'best match search'.

I wouldn't use use the term "free postage" (it's a term only as there is no free postage but some buyers actually assume ebay provide the free postage believe it or not) because postage can vary depending on location and therefore I would have to start my auctions at a price to cover the most expensive postal cost in Australia ....... that may price my items out of the market.

Message 24 of 43
Latest reply

I used to think an alternative to selling something using classifieds in the trading post, local rag or daily newspaper would never occur. Then ebay happened. Since then other avenues are popping up and apps will eventually do everything we could possibly think of. Even with all the alternative sites and avenues out there to sell things, people still choose ebay. This is because you make money. If you make money, ebay makes money. Sort of helps to be that way otherwise they wouldn't be too good like other sites we know ie: no traffic, you list 1000's of items and get a couple of sales in 6 months vs selling here at ebay and getting 100's of sales in the same time frame.

Message 25 of 43
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

@ozstockman wrote:

You can just add ebay fees to postage as handling fee.

regarding free postage that ebay forces sellers to offer. I consider it as a total disrespect to my buyers. There is no such thing as free postage. If you offer it you just add it to the item price and you have to do it at maximum possible rate within Australia because you cannot know in advance who buys it.
So in some cases you overcharge the buyers who are close to you and you overcharge a lot those who buying multiple items from you. You cannot adjust the invoice in this case because ebay does not apply discount to anything but postage which is 0 on the invoice with free postage offer. And if you refund excessive postage cost you will have to gothrough the pain of asking ebay to change their fees on sold item because of the refund. 

Forces? You sure?

Link to this REQUIREMENT please.

Can't find it? Funny about that.

Open you Seller Manager and read under "Improve Your listing->Get eBay premium service".  I will past it below

"Top-rated sellers qualify for the greatest average boost in Best Match and are eligible to receive benefits on listings that offer same-day or one-day handling time, a minimum 30-day return policy with money back option, a free domestic postage option and an express postage option."

How do you call it, recomendation or forcing to do it with the threat that nobody will see your items?

Now open Seller Manager and read again  under Improve "Your listing->Qualify for Fast & Free to attract more buyers"  I will past it below

"Same day or 1-day handling, along with free postage, can improve your chances of qualifying for Fast 'N Free, which can increase your sales"

How do you call it, recomendation or forcing to do it with the same threat?

Do you think it is a joke? I can try to find an email from ebay that says in short that if I do not do all this my items won't be shown on top in the search results. And that's after being a seller on ebay for almost 10 years when I was not forced to do it all and my items were always at the top because they were relevant to what my customers were looking for. I also had a top-rated seller status for many years and I was selling a lot.

Apart from free shipping, do I need to explain to you that some business cannot offer 1 day shipping and 30 day return simply because they make and sell custom products that required much more time to do than reselling something pre-made and they cannot be accepted for a return ever, not to mention withing 30 days. How about wedding decorations that almost everybody will be happy to return after wedding? What kind of stupid "recomendation" for me to accept return for custom made decoration for a wedding?

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 26 of 43
Latest reply

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

regarding free postage that ebay forces sellers to offer. I consider it as a total disrespect to my buyers

But you don't offer free postage on all your items.

And I am not going to and I have explained why. Regading "forcing" read my reply to the other member just above this one.

I am really suprised that all who dissagrees with my my desription of what ebay does in terms of free shipping and other things have never checked their seller Manager or received an email from ebay expaining what it will cost them in terms of sales not to offer free postage, the same day shipping and 30 days return.

Message 27 of 43
Latest reply

Well I don't do either and I still make sales.

So I am NOT forced at all.

And not offering these things doesn't seem to have totallly dried up your sales.

Custom cut out Wooden MDF letters 140mm high 3mm thick - 2 sold in the last hour

Message 28 of 43
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Well I don't do either and I still make sales.

So I am NOT forced at all.

And not offering these things doesn't seem to have totallly dried up your sales.

Custom cut out Wooden MDF letters 140mm high 3mm thick - 2 sold in the last hour

I was not saying I cannot sell anything but I can see traffic to my store is reduced dramatically since they've done it and some sellers who just start selling and have low raiting but offer free postage is higher in search than me for some items. Another  suprise is just they have 0 sold while I can have 10s, 100s, 1000s sold  for a similar item and I am still below their items in search even with my price being lower than theirs.

Message 29 of 43
Latest reply

As I mentioned earlier, I only offer free postage on large letter items. Majority of my sales are parcel post items. Nothing wrong with my sales. So much so, I need to have a sickie from my regular job this week to catch up on posting. That said, I don't have a store, so best match means diddly squat to me.

Message 30 of 43
Latest reply