Positive comment as negative feedback

I just got my first negative, and while it may not affect my sales as only a casual seller, it is disappointing.  Strange thing is buyer left postive comment, so how do you accidently leave negative when it has several promts before you actually post comment.  I have sent a feedback retraction request to buyer and messaged her asking if there was a problem and if I can fix anything.  Will have to wait and see her response, I suppose.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Yep, one of my pet hates - negative / neutral feedback, with a positive comment...

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

I have heard buyers using their mobile accidentally leave the wrong colour dot because they are very close together.

image host
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Maybe she liked the dress but her butt looked big in it Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

I'd say they've hit the wrong button by accident. Or perhaps (due to AusPost being so slow at the moment) left a neg due to the time it took to deliver, which would be unjustified. What's their feedback left for others like? If they leave neg after neg, they probably don't realize they haven't changed it back to positive after a previous negative experience.

If they don't respond, call eBay and see if they can do anything about it - can't hurt. I know you can get a false positive removed, wonder if it works the other way around?

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

@once_truly_loved wrote:

I just got my first negative, and while it may not affect my sales as only a casual seller, it is disappointing.  Strange thing is buyer left postive comment, so how do you accidently leave negative when it has several promts before you actually post comment.  I have sent a feedback retraction request to buyer and messaged her asking if there was a problem and if I can fix anything.  Will have to wait and see her response, I suppose.

I think you have taken the necessary steps by messaging the buyer and asking if their was a problem, and what you can do to fix it.

As others suggest, have a look at the feedback the buyer has left for others.  This usually reveals if the buyer is difficult to please or color blind.

Some people are simply inattentive, and it may just have been an inadvertent error.  Not everyone reads the details of whats on their screens whilst clcking or swiping. 

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

I have heard buyers using their mobile accidentally leave the wrong colour dot because they are very close together.

I dunno about that. I left a feed back on my phone a few weeks ago and it was very easy to hit the right option. I looked at it and wondered how people could accidentally hit the wrong one. I suppose anything's possible but it seems strange.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

It is a strange comment for a negative rating so she may very well retract it once she gets your message.

It may be a mistake, as others have outlined.

If not, I know how disappointing it would be to have a neg like that but on the positive side, it would not influence me as a buyer. If anything, it makes the person who made the comment look a bit of a dill, it does not reflect on the seller.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

I think it was an accident, and even if you can't contact the buyer to ask for retraction, I imagine anyone looking at your FB would also assume it was an error by the buyer.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I messaged buyer last week, no response to my message so far, or my feedback retraction request.  She was quick to respoond to my message when she paid for item, and I advised when i was posting, so she can use ebay messages.  Looks like she has left negaitves before but only a couple, and her comments were negative as well, so they were intentional.  

I have sent eBay an email now asking them to look into it, and to remove it if they can.  It may have been a mistake, but why should my feedback rating suffer for it.  I know it is only a red dot, and it doesn't affect my life but I have been buying and selling since June 2006, and this is my first red dot, just want it resolved.  I would of preferred no feedback at all in this case, I have had plenty of items sold with no feedback response from buyers, I have never had an issue with that.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply