Postcodes

Sellers please write the post code clearly on your parcels,letters ect. Because I have a delivery that has come to my state and then nearly my town and all of a sudden its shot out to another state lol. Contacted AP and was told the one of the numbers in the post code looked like a 2 instead of 3 so now it's going around the world lol. First off it was looked at by a person then sent to where it had to go but when it arrived it was automated so the wrong postcode was picked up thus sending it back to the sellers state lol. So you see a clear postcode needs to be written otherwise it will end up who knows where. This could also be a reason why so much mail has gone missing as some members on these boards have queried?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Postcodes

I would think most sellers would be printing labels to avoid this possibility these days.  I know I stopped hand-addressing stuff years ago to reduce this risk.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Postcodes

I would think most sellers would be printing labels to avoid this possibility these days.  I know I stopped hand-addressing stuff years ago to reduce this risk.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Postcodes

You're doing the right thing posters but there are still alot of sellers that don't print postage but still us a pen.

I estimate around 70% of my mail comes with handwritten details.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Postcodes

All of my mail is handwritten, I make sure the writing is both clear and large enough that you don't need a magnifying glass.
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Postcodes

Heihachi, do you use a waterproof pen?

Handwritten labels can easily get wet and smudge

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Postcodes

I hand write everything. I use either regular or felt tip pen. Regardless of whether I am sending a parcel or padded mailer, I tape over the entire address label. I also tape over the return address. The PO staff commented how smart it was to do that. I started when I got a parcel from overseas that had clearly been wet (it was still wet when I got it). The label was completely intact as it had been completely taped over.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Postcodes

The problem is that humans read the address's but the postcodes are checked by machines so if the postcodes aren't clear enough for the machines to read then your mail will end up where ever the machine thinks the postcode is lol.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Postcodes

I used to put the address details in a clear plastic satchel and then tape it to what ever parcel I was sending.

100% water proof.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Postcodes

That's a good idea too. 

I write the town/suburb in capitals and the post code is large and clear. Numbers are written straight, no curls or loops. I always write the state in capitals and will include the state even if it's the same state as mine. I hopefully make it easier for both human and machine. 

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply