Quite the entrepreneur!

I sold a vintage but never used three piece tea set for $50 including postage which cost me  $17.

It was made by my sister in ceramic class some years ago and I knew it to be unused.

The buyer messaged me after she received it and demanded a full refund because it had slight discolouration in the glaze inside. I would say it is merely an uneven application of glaze, and I must note that I did not notice it to be discoloured in all the years I owned it,

i of course gave her a full refund, as sellers have few rights these days and I knew the buyer would win any dispute.

She didn't want to return it at her cost.

When I gave her a refund through PayPal, I asked that seeing it was not to her liking could she donate it to a charity. After all, she had obtained it for nothing.

So I am surprised to see that she has listed it herself, 

is there anything I can do? We are at the mercy of these of people, who probably make a little business out of this practice.

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Quite the entrepreneur!

buy it back and put in a claim for not as described if she hasnt mentioned the fault in her description?

Message 2 of 50
Latest reply

Quite the entrepreneur!

What's item number she is listing your tea set? 

I would call Ebay.

Cheers

Message 3 of 50
Latest reply

Quite the entrepreneur!

Three piece tea-set excellent condition!Woman Surprised

Message 4 of 50
Latest reply

Quite the entrepreneur!

And acorn

Message 5 of 50
Latest reply

Quite the entrepreneur!

@davidc4430 wrote:

buy it back and put in a claim for not as described if she hasnt mentioned the fault in her description?

Haha! Good one.

She has it listed starting at 99-cents.

But listed as local pickup only.

If you bid 99-cents you may well be the only bidder. If not then outbid everyone but then never pay so she never sells it.

Message 6 of 50
Latest reply

Quite the entrepreneur!

Sorry to say... but I think you will find there's not a lot you can do in this particular case. Primarily because even though the buyer asked for a full refund (and while we may not agree with their tactics or attitude), it was up to you to provide one without return. If you had said that you'd refund without return but only if they donated the set to charity, you may have some recourse, but it sounds like you refunded in full at their request, and then asked if they would donate it - that pretty much left the buyer with the set to do with as they liked, and a full refund. 

Just also wanted to point out that the buyer / seller has noted the discolouration in the description, and also provided photographs. 

Message 7 of 50
Latest reply

Quite the entrepreneur!

Note to self - don't press 'back' on your browser to edit a post, then submit, because it makes a new post.... Smiley LOL

I meant to edit my previous post to say I couldn't actually see the discolourations in the images, but they are mentioned.  

Message 8 of 50
Latest reply

Quite the entrepreneur!

Agree with DG here.  You may have jumped too soon.  As a prolific ceramics freak for nearly 30 yrs have just asked a ?? and am interested as to the reply.  Sorry this has gone pear shaped for you.

P.S. Hand glazed pieces frequently have this problem of uneven glazes.  Most of us dont worry if they are for family or friends.  I know it has nevr worried anyone I have given pieces to.

Message 9 of 50
Latest reply

Quite the entrepreneur!

More seriously tho....

If you suspect that a buyer is playing games in order to get a refund, and you are very certain you will lose the INAD case anyway, I would always advocate making them jump thru the formal ebay hoops to get their refund. ie raise a formal INAD case. Open cases do not get you a defect any more (as they used to) so its quite safe to go this way and refund them immediately via the case. You only get a defect if you fail to resolve the case and ebay step in to do it.

Doing it this way it forces them to record this kind of activity on their buying account. If they are frequent offenders they may not be too willing to go this way. Of course they could give you a big RED dot instead but you may have a chance of getting it removed going on the prior communication between you and the buyer.

Message 10 of 50
Latest reply