Regsitered parcel with parcel locker/... is registering necessary?

i have a customer who has bought an item that includes registered in postage cost.. Parcel is going to parcel locker... obviously she wont be signing for it there.. will it be ignored and sent to locker, so no point registering it, or will it be carded and sent to PO... perhaps I should not register it.. just insure ..??

thanks in advance

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Letters and standard mail that can be delivered to your letterbox

Express Post letters

Parcels larger than 39 x 36 x 64cm

Parcels heavier than 16kg

Parcels that require proof of identity

Parcels that require the recipient's ID to be recorded at delivery

Parcels where there is a payment required on delivery

Parcels that are damaged or unsuitably packaged

Parcels delivered by a courier that has chosen not to deliver to our parcel lockers

Parcels containing alcohol

Parcels containing perishables

The above are the reasons why you shouldn't/can't send to a parcel locker

So I think that a registered item also can't be sent to a locker as no one can sign for it.

Lockers only have a 48 hr time limit to collect items.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Your ID eg: Drivers Licence is required to register for parcel lockers so that acts as your signature, Registered parcels or any other package requiring a signature will be put in the locker if the name matches the registered addressee. Saves people waiting for PO to open to collect  and better option than having unsigned items left at homes.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Letters will generally be redirected to the alternative address provided by the buyer when they signed up for the locker, or held at a nearby post office, but parcels requiring signature on delivery will just be delivered without a signature being captured from the recipient. (For this reason, when sending parcels under a certain value to PO boxes and parcel lockers, I usually purchase insurance but not SOD, as the main benefit of SOD - from my perspective - is to prevent safe-dropping and risking the package being stolen after delivery). 

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

When I collect signature on delivery parcels from my current PO Box  the Post Office leave a receipt book (and pen) in the locker for signature. 

For my previous PO Box in a different location signature required articles were carded and I had to collect over counter. 

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

maybe you risk annoying the buyer if you send registered and it has to be carded to be collected?

Maybe the buyer has gone to the trouble to get a locker because she can't make it to the PO - she can only collect after hours?

I think I would self-insure if it is of great value, otherwise just send as an ordinary parcel with tracking.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Probably late to the party but this is my advice: still use registered as that is the advertised postage method.

The buyer had this information at hand and it is up to them to accept that method or make an enquiry *before* purchase. Then, if the seller and the buyer agree to a different postage method then the trail is the messages.

I hope everything works out.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

When I collect signature on delivery parcels from my current PO Box  the Post Office leave a receipt book (and pen) in the locker for signature. 

For my previous PO Box in a different location signature required articles were carded and I had to collect over counter. 

My PO puts collection notices in the box, as they only have the digital sig capture devices.

But, parcel lockers aren't manned by AP staff, and are usually located in other kinds of places (eg service stations). AFAIK, the SOD parcels I have sent to parcel lockers were all delivered to the locker without a signature being collected by the recipient - any courier deliveries that require SOD would be the same, if they delivered to a parcel locker (in saying that, I don't really know how deliveries to lockers are handled, so I'm just guessing based on what I see when I send to them, and I especially don't know when it comes to couriers, and/or whether a signature is recorded by someone in attendance, but I do know that it would technically be ok as SOD is for the address so anyone in attendance can sign to say it was delivered to that address, while other services requiring proof of ID for delivery, such as person to person, can't be delivered to lockers but can be delivered to PO boxes). 

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Ask the buyer?

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Digi, very few couriers would be able to deliver to Parcel Lockers as they operate in the same way as PO Box addresses.

The courier companies have to pay AP a premium to be able to leave items at POs so I presume that also applies to Parcel Locker addresses....I will check that out later.

The last I heard the premium was something like $16 per parcel and to the best of my knowledge no courier companies are willing to pay this amount.  

It might be worth someone's time to check whether parcel lockers come under the new AP rules for photographing safe dropped items...again I will ask about it tonight.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply