Removed Item

Hi ... I bid on an item that seems may not have got the amount the seller was looking for.  The item was removed (before the end date) with the following reason: "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available"

Just like that?. 😞

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Removed Item

The seller may of sold it outside of Ebay, there's alot of that going to happen.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Removed Item

Till an item is sold it still belongs to the seller to do with as they wish.

If the seller was not allowed to do this the option would not be there.

Better they remove the listing than you having to put up with being told you are not getting it and the seller risking a neg feedback.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Removed Item

The seller may of sold it outside of Ebay, there's alot of that going to happen.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Removed Item

@robinsonmarineparts wrote:

Especially when there are mobile numbers etc in the listings which happens a lot.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Removed Item

Thank you for your response. I really do appreciate your suggestion.

I don't do any selling on Ebay, and don't pretend to think it's fair for the seller at all times; but it seems odd that in order to retract a bid you have as little as three viable reasons, but if you're the seller .... it's basically, whatever reason you want!

Had there not been a bid on the item, I agree that you should be able to take it and sell it elsewhere; but I also believe  it becomes a binding contract as soon as the bidding begins (particularly because the bidder has been bound by a contract as soon as they bid on the item).

As for negative feedback ... well, you know .... the action taken by the seller has certainly 'left a bad taste in my mouth' ... It's not about the item I didn't receive .... it's the principle.... I was bound by a contract I expected the seller to consider serious too.

Thanks again 🙂

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Removed Item

neither party has entered into a binding contract when a bid is placed on an item.

Neither party was bound by a contract.

A bid is only an offer.

An offer can be withdrawn or rejected at anytime prior to acceptance. (eBay have a few policies restricting this, and whilst breaching their policies may see you in trouble with them, their policies do not trump Australian Law.)

A contract is only formed upon acceoptance of the offer (assuming all other formation requirements have been met) when the auction ends with a high bidder or at confimation of a BIN.

eBay really "can't" stop anybody retracting or rejecting a bid/offer, unless they are pretty sure that if challenged, they can provide proof to a court that the reasons for it were illegal and nefarious. (ie shill bidding)

BUT your seller has done NOTHING wrong.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply