Removing Variation problem

Can anybody tell me if I can remove some of the variations in a listing.

In the pic attached,  I need to remove some of the listings from the first screen of the variation wizard. I know that I cannot remove those which have had sales, but there does not seem to be a way to tidy up and/or remove some of the ones were added in error.

It seems that once you have added in a variation, and moved ahead on the screens, you cannot go back and alter anything, you can only add new ones. Pretty stupid, especially if you mess up on 1cm measurements and just want to alter them.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

We've hit this kind of problem before and the only way we have found it can be recified is to kill off the listing and the Inventory entry if you are using SMP and start again from scratch.

I contacted ebay and asked them for help and that was also the only way they knew how to do it too.

So if anybody else has any better ideas I will like to see it too.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

I just had a look at some of my variation listings, and found that if the listing had had no sales at all, I could remove variations from that list.

If the listing had sold even just one of the variations, the entire list is greyed out, but I can still remove variations (only if that particular variation has never sold) on the SKU screen, so it keeps the variation for all intents and purposes, but removes it from appearing in the listing.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Hi Digital, yes I can also exclude or add the variations in the SKU screen so they appear (or not) for the customer. It's not an elegant solution though.

I think there is a maximum number of variations that you can have (maybe 30?), so if you mess up like I did, you're stuck with those variations on the first level screen and it just clouds up the listing with stuff that can't be used.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Damned annoying, and typically silly of eBay to not have such a basic piece of functionality enabled. If I can add a variation, I should be able to remove it. Trying telling eBay that...

I had three size variations available of a style of glove I sell - S, M, and XL. I've sold out of the XL, and  - surprise, surprise - can't remove it from the listing.  So, I simply edited the listing to two available sizes, with XL at an available quantity of zero.

Last night, someone purchased the "unavailable" size. Apparently, despite the quantity listed for XL being "zero", eBay still allowed the buyer to select it...

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

There should be a way to at least edit in case typo's are made.

But as I understand there isn't.

image host
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

This is true.
If you make a typo with a colour or size of other variation name you cannot edit it.
You are stuck with it unless you end the listing and start over.
We have a couple of such errors in ours that we have just left there.
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Update: And, it's just happened again...

Clearly stated in both item title and description that only M and L are available, quantity of XL listed as "0" (and greyed out when you try to select XL), yet eBay's still let someone purchase an XL size!

So, I've had to cancel the listing entirely, and create a new one with only the two available variations - otherwise, it'll just keep happening, and I'll strike a buyer who doesn't understand that it's eBay's screw-up (and theirs for selecting a size I've clearly said isn't available), and I'll get negged.

And I've been hit with a listing fee for the new eBay-proof listing. Thanks, eBay!

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply