Requie some help with a buyer

Hi, Just after a opinion on a message i received from a buyer who claims I sold her some dresses fit for a rag bag, and I know they were fine first message I recieved was:

"Hi,I received the dresses today.Disappointing 2 of the dresses are worn out.The black and white one is alright but the blue one has threads coming away and well well worn the green one is thread bare and stitching coming away.Only fit for the rag bag.Would you consider a partial refund?I wont leave neg feedback for you as I'm sure it was just an oversight.If you want them returned for full refund please add the return postage."

For starters is this feedback extortion? I am not sure. So I asked her to send me a photo of the damage to the dresses that I apparently missed so then I could resolve the situation, mind you this buyer is a seller also, so I thought photo's would not be a problem. After 2 days today I get this message from the buyer:

"Hi,I have tried to take some photo's for you but to no avail,I can show the wear and tare on them.I picked the threads out of the blue dress and restitched the joins back.Would you refund just the 2 dresses(Say $10) and I'll cop the postage,if not do you want me to post them back to you?"

Total sale for the dresses was $15 plus postage, I had pretty clear pictures of the dresses with no damage. Just wondering what or where I should go from here as I am feeling like this is a bit of a con for a refund, I do like being reasonalbe but hmmmm.

Cheers

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Doesn't sound right to me. 

I'd be sending them no money, but if they insist the items aren't as described (yet can't show it), then I'd email them a postage-paid label (purchased via Click & Send), so that they can send the items back, with a refund issued when received back and inspected. 

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

For $15 I probably wouldn't even bother.

Refund her, tell her to keep the items and block her from buying again.

Just not worth the aggravation for such a small amount.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

@moonandstarsshop wrote:

For $15 I probably wouldn't even bother.

Refund her, tell her to keep the items and block her from buying again.

Just not worth the aggravation for such a small amount.

Unfortunately, that's exactly the kind of seller certain types of buyers hope for, and the reason why they keep trying it on with other sellers (i.e. lots of sellers make it easy for them to get away with it).

Sellers can minimise the potential for aggravation by keeping things on their terms, without being unfair, and being firm and uncompromising in the options the provide. When responding to a buyer like this, I would no longer give them any options that are open to agrument (thus reducing their attempts to negotiate the resolution on offer, as this buyer is obviously trying to do). This can be shown quite clearly just in how you phrase the same offer - eg "if you like, I can send through a postage label...." as opposed to "I will send through a postage label"

Same solution, very different message. 😉 

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

ljd wrote (red)

Hi, Just after a opinion on a message i received from a buyer who claims I sold her some dresses fit for a rag bag, and I know they were fine first message I recieved was:

"Hi,I received the dresses today.Disappointing 2 of the dresses are worn out.The black and white one is alright but the blue one has threads coming away and well well worn the green one is thread bare and stitching coming away.Only fit for the rag bag.Would you consider a partial refund?I wont leave neg feedback for you as I'm sure it was just an oversight.If you want them returned for full refund please add the return postage."

Are you absolutely sure the items were in excellent condition? Had any of the frocks in question in fact been worn a lot? Go back and re-read your ad and double check what you said. (I can't see the ad, so I am only making a suggestion, it is not based on any knowledge I have.) The reason i say this is because people's opinions of what is satisfactory can differ and to be honest, with second hand clothes, I would never, ever attempt to sell them on ebay unless they were in absolutely great condition, with very little wear.

For starters is this feedback extortion? I am not sure.

I am not sure either but it is verging on it, isn't it!!

She hasn't quite made the second step, which would be.. I won't leave neg FB if....

So I asked her to send me a photo of the damage to the dresses that I apparently missed so then I could resolve the situation, mind you this buyer is a seller also, so I thought photo's would not be a problem. After 2 days today I get this message from the buyer:

"Hi,I have tried to take some photo's for you but to no avail,I can show the wear and tare on them.I picked the threads out of the blue dress and restitched the joins back.Would you refund just the 2 dresses(Say $10) and I'll cop the postage,if not do you want me to post them back to you?"

What an odd message, in that she says she will 'cop the postage'. I am assuming she means she won't ask for postage costs back, but this gives an indication of what is in her mind. Was the postage a bit dearer because it was 3 items, or would it have been the same for one?

The message is also odd in that she claims to have already done repair work. As a seller, surely she would know & expect to have to provide evidence to a fellow seller?

What she is saying is she can't show loose threads or faulty seams.

I am pretty sure if you were to discuss this with an ebay rep in person, she would have trouble insisting on any refund as she has already altered the goods.

There is another factor. She says the items are only fit for the ragbag but she wants to keep them, doesn't she. She isn't insisting on everything back. She has (so she says) repaired an item and she wouldn't do that unless she planned to wear it, now would she!!

I'm guessing that she wants the black and white frock enough, but she may have found a thread or two on one of the others and so is trying to get some money back. Or else maybe the black and white dress was a better brand or newer or in some way- a real bargain- and the other two, though fine, weren't up to the same? Just guessing.

Total sale for the dresses was $15 plus postage, I had pretty clear pictures of the dresses with no damage. Just wondering what or where I should go from here as I am feeling like this is a bit of a con for a refund, I do like being reasonalbe but hmmmm.

I think it is a bit of a con. What she is asking for is a full refund on 2 of the frocks, yet she expects to keep them. She can't show you any photos to substantiate her claim because she claims to have already 'repaired' them.

You have a couple of choices here.

You can, for the sake of peace, agree to refund her $10. That way she will be very pleased with herself, she probably won't give neg FB but don't count on her not to trash your stars, especially for item as described. She won't want to look (even to herself) as a liar.

Or you can refuse, just state the dresses were fine, you have several other photos of them before they were posted to back up your claims & they were exactly as described. (which is why you need to double check what it is you wrote about them.) If you follow that, expect her to put in a dispute & you would need to get on a phone to defend yourself & show her messages to prove she can't supply evidence and has in fact said she altered the items.

I honestly don't know who would win. You may-as long as you have lots of photos and had a very clear, honest description in the original ad.

For the record, my sister and I have been in exactly the same sort of position as you are. With a buyer who claimed disappointment on a vintage item, yet could not show any real evidence, sent some blurry photo that didn't show a thing. Her aim was definitely extortion as she had been a NZ bidder who hadn't liked the postage charges from the very start, expected the lot shipped to her for $10 or under.

We didn't know what to do either. In the end she asked for a certain amount back, which amounted to the difference in postage. We ended up refunding her but we weren't happy about it.

Sometimes you just know it is a con but unless you can absolutely prove it, it is so frustrating & I know we took the path of least resistance. My sister then banned her from ever bidding again.

So it is up to you. If she takes the case to ebay and wins, you may be out the cost of postage both ways, your fees etc

On the other hand she may lose and you get to keep the lot.

Or you could refund her $10 and although it is a loss, not as bad a one as if you lose and pay two lots of postage.

It's like one of those chance games on  TV shows, isn't it.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

oops, sorry that post came out so long.Smiley Surprised

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

I'm pretty sure that if someone wants to send something back, for whatever the reason, the item has to be sent back in the same condition received. If she has altered/repaired any of them, then they won't be in the same condition as what they were received in. I would definitely be mentioning that in any correspondence with eBay. Who's to say she didn't cause the damage when she was repairing them?

I think it all sounds very suspect. I reckon she's bought them to wear to an event of some kind, the event has come and gone and she now no longer has any use for them. I would almost bet my house that if the OP gave a partial refund without the return of the dresses, that they would end up on her selling page. Either that, or as I said above, she has caused the damage when she tried to repair them.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

The listing was for 3 girls (kid's) dresses.

For $5 a piece plus postage - I think the buyer has a nerve, really

That's op-shop prices!

If she's a seller, then she knows how to do photos.

And if she's altered them (repaired) then I can't see her winning.

I would keep all messages to show ebay that she has altered them.

I would not refund

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

I don't think it's feedback extortion, to me it sounds like she is genuinely disappointed with the items but is trying to work with you to resolve it, without you having to worry about receiving a neg.  It might be because she's a seller she hasn't just gone and opened up a return.  As for fixing one of the dresses, well good for her and you!  But she shouldn't have had to repair anything according to your description.

The three dresses are described as "excellent" condition  - were they really in all honesty?  On close examination of the photos, the green one looks like the edging on the top edge on the left is unravelled??  In any case, it's not for the buyer to work it out from the photos, if the item is worn the areas of wear need to be stated.

Sometimes general wear is hard to photograph.  I've felt ripped off in the past by sellers too when an item is described as excellent or perfect but actually arrives just feeling old or worn out.  Newer cotton has a kind or crispness to it but when it's worn out it's really soft and sort of thin, even though it might not have any holes.  Sometimes clothes can have a kind of bleh feeling to them that isn't possible to photograph, but they're just yuck and you know it when you open the parcel.  But this is all speculation as I have no idea about the dresses you sent.

So only you can know the condition you sent them in, and the way ebay ACTUALLY works (as opposed to how it is supposed to) it's not really up to the buyer to prove otherwise to you.  If you sent those dresses in immaculate "excellent" condition then your decision should be pretty straight forward. You'll know the best thing to do judging by what you know about your items, but for $10 I'd just be happy for the whole thing to go away.  

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

Thanks for response guys/gals, appreciate it. I did contact ebay over this matter and they have told me to have the items returned, so I messaged the buyer for return of items as they could provide no proof of damaged, my return policy is buyer to pay for postage, in other cases I would have pay for return post myself, but intially I thought she was a bit rude and demanding. Did tell buyer I would fully reinburse when I recieved the items. Reply from buyer:

"Thanks Julie,I understand,can you please send you address for return?It was a shame as my grandaughters liked the dresses.".

Originally I had to post the dresses ASAP as they were required for a care package. Yesterday I was told that I will get a message when they will be sent. Today I recieved this message:

"Hi Julie,I can't justify paying out another $8 to send them back for you to only refund the dress prices.I trade honestly as you can see by my feedback,if they were ok I wouldn't have contacted you.I have laundered them and repaired some on the blue one and will donate them to the Salvo's.If you refund any,I'll donate the funds to the Salvo's also"

Over the petty amount of this transaction I really should just refund but a little conerned this may happen to other sellers. Quite happy to refund full amount on the return of items. Oh dear, and it continues....

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply