Restricting Account after potential buyer wanted to inspect item

Well I finally did my block with Ebay today

I had listed some designer chairs, $500, unusual design, high value item (for me anyway). As always I say in my listing, 'Inspections Are Welcome".

Potential buyer asks to come and view them, I agree and provide my mobile number.  I had no intention of a direct sale, I was more interested to see what the items would achieve at auction.

After the auction runs its course, my account gets restricted by Ebay for 7 days - they ASSUME I am trying to transact outside of Ebay.  No hard evidence.

I contact 'Customer Service" to ask them to read back my correspondence with the buyer that clearly talks about arranging an inspection.  No offers to purchase outside of Ebay were discussed (i know better than to do that).  The auction for the chairs  ran its course and the chairs currently remain unsold.  So obviously no shenanigans there.

Customer Service advised me that I am not to attempt any contact with buyers unless they are a 'transacter'.  That means they have to actually purchase the item sight unseen before any contact details can be exchanged.  I argued that this policy would result in more Chargebacks, Neutrals and Negatives as buyers make purchases without being able to view the item and ensure it really is suitable for them.  And could result in less sales as I refuse requests from potential buyers to come and inspect.  Ebay replied that I should just put more photos up and clear descriptions "because that's the way Ebay is going".  

So... my buyers can no longer inspect my items prior to purchase.  But if you sell a car on Ebay in the Classifieds its fine for you to put a phone number up.

Beware the BOTS

P.S. don't advise me to send a photo of my phone number to potential buyers either (I haven't tried this) - it seems they are on to that as well.

Rant over.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Is it with this ID?   Cos I don't see any completed listings for $500 chairs.

That's why ebay thinks you sold them privately.

The restriction will only be not being able to list anything for 7 days, that's all.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Yes it's on this account - should be in my Unsold items.  EBay acknowledged that the chairs were not sold at auction.

They have lifted my restriction 'as a courtesy'

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

How magnanimous of them.      *tongue planted firmly in cheek

It may be a glitch, but now I don't see any completed items at all

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Oh great!  Maybe they have put me in the naughty corner.

The customer service rep said "I will lift your restriction as a courtesy but you have to promise me not to sell outside of Ebay".

Sigh

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

For crying out loud, Ebay and not going to be happy until they have screwed ever seller into the ground

Bear mighty P.O'ed on your behalf 

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Your completed listing for the chairs has finally turned up.

Very nice chairs indeed.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply