Return Request and buyer point blank will not return item

Don't know how to proceed.  This is an issue on another selling account.

Buyer requests a return because not as described (I missed something in the listing and have acknowledged this).  Seller also received item 3 weeks ago and only now finds an issue in my description of goods and left positive feedback when received.

I have agreed to the return and advised I will pay return postage and purchase/original shipping upon return receipt (which is within ebay guidelines).

Buyer has refused point blank to return until they are fully refunded.

I have been called a liar, a person not to be trusted and fraudulent seller in email.

Buyer just won't work with me to resolve this issue.

Money has already been removed from PP a/c.  And ebay have given me 3 days to receive the return and refund the buyer HaHa

I know from their attack attitude that if I refund before receiving item back they will not return the item.  My gut feeling is they want a refund and to keep item.

Im between a rock and a hard place - How should I proceed.

Never had a return request before and only ever 1 request before in decades of online selling.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ring ebay and get them to read the messages between you and the buyer. Tell ebay you suspect the buyer is trying to get a refund and keep the item. By rights, if they initiated a return and you accepted, they shouldn't get a refund until tracking shows as delivered, but this is ebay, where sellers are treated like they've just been scraped off the bottom of your shoe. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Ring ebay and get them to read the messages between you and the buyer. Tell ebay you suspect the buyer is trying to get a refund and keep the item. By rights, if they initiated a return and you accepted, they shouldn't get a refund until tracking shows as delivered, but this is ebay, where sellers are treated like they've just been scraped off the bottom of your shoe. 

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks Tippy. I hate phoning ebay you never know what kind of fool robot is on the other end.
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Use the call back option. Apparently the ones who call are a rung or 2 above the drones that answer when you call. I've never had to ring them, but everyone else says it's the way to go. If you have no luck, ask to speak to a supervisor.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

The advice given by Tippy is sound.
Stand your ground here but treat carefully.
You will definitely have to speak with a real person at eBay on this one. Don't allow the bots to decide ad you will lose the case.
The buyer had 5-days to initiate the return by uploading a tracking number to the return case.
You are not required to refund until that tracking shows delivered. And the item is supposed to be in the condition you sent it out in. Although if this last point doesn't happen it's typically very difficult for the seller to prove.
Good luck with this one and keep us informed on progress.
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

as tippy and clarry have said - the best way to go about it is definitely to speak to someone. 

if you get someone who has any common sense they'll realise that no one gets a refund until the item has been returned. you can't walk into a retail store and get your money back before giving them the item - it's simply how it works. 

if you get any unfavourable advice from them - i'd push the fact that their own policy states the item MUST be returned to you before the refund takes place - http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/return-process.html

all the best! :]

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Just had the same type of issue with 2 buyers. Not only are they just plain rude but as a seller there is no leg to stand on.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

You actually do have a leg to stand on as the seller. But you do need to tread carefully. ie be proactive and don't allow it to be automatic as the bots (if allowed) will always find in favour of the buyer.

By ebay's own policy if you agree and accept a return then then buyer is obliged to return the item with tracking. At your cost if the reason is INAD and at buyer cost for COM reasons if your returns policy states this.

The buyer has 5-days in which to lodge the parcel and upload the tracking number onto the case.

After you receive it back (return tracking shows delivered) in the same condition it was sent then you have 6-days after receipt to process the refund.

If after 5-days from you accepting the return the buyer has done nothing then you can call ebay and request that the case be closed with no impact to you as the buyer has exceeded their time limits.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

screamingdemon_2007
Community Member
This is no problem, DO NOT STRESS. If the buyer does not upload tracking as proof of return, you will not have to refund etc. At the most, you may get a Neg feedback form the guy.
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

You have been given sound advice by the others, but I will just throw this one out there.

The person you are dealing with is most likely either deranged or a thief or just a very arrogant customer.

The only couple of people I ever had who refused to return until they were paid a refund first defrauded me, one for $20 or so, the other for $100 or so, by later returning rubbish I never sent them in the first place.

A lot of them swill around eBay, particularly it seems, at this time of year, have had a few lousy "customers" in the past couple of weeks myself...

If the amount is a small one, forget wasting your time and stressing about it.

I know this is hard to do at the time, have been there a few times myself over the last 20 years or so.

Pay the refund, block them, forget them, move on. Whether the low cost item ever comes back, who cares?

If it is a larger amount, sure, you may wish to fight and waste time for that, if it is a small amount, forget it, write it off as a bad experience and don't waste too much time or blood pressure over it..

DO NOT let the case close without resolution, that counts badly for you as a seller.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply