Seller Has Full Tracking with SOD -- Still Loses INR Case

I was reading a story over on the Facebook ebay sellers groups where a seller sent out an item with tracking and SOD.

The tracking was associated with the buyers delivery address.

The last ebay estimated delivery date passed but the tracking still showed "in transit". ie no delivery scan event yet.

There is a lodgement scan event inside the seller's stated handling time. Proving postage to the buyer's address.

Buyer opens formal INR case.

Seller launches Aust Post investigation. And uploads their tracking info onto the now open case.

Buyer escalates the case and ebay close in buyers favour and refund from seller funds.

How can this be?

I thought if ebay wished to refund then in this situation it should be their nickel, not the seller's.

I thought the tracking situation should have had this one covered hands down for the seller.

Especially since the Aust Post investigation has not completed yet. Tomorrow apparently.

Am I missing something here?

What would be the point of paying for tracking and/or SOD when you will lose like this anyway?

Might just as well send out everything by untracked large letter, if it will fit.

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

@clarry100 wrote:

How can this be?

Because eBay will look for delivery, and hold the seller liable if the package doesn't show as delivered. 

The seller might be able to get a 'discretionary' reimbursement from eBay is the package later shows as delivered, but otherwise they will have to pursue recovery of the item or payment themselves. ๐Ÿ˜ž 

Message 2 of 31
Latest reply

SOD only gives protection if it shows the item has been delivered, if it has gone astray and there is no delivery confirmation then the buyer wins with ebay, Paypal may only require proof of lodgement but ebay need proof of delivery. As SOD was used the seller should claim through AP if they cannot find the parcel.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 31
Latest reply

So eBay have just disregarded the fact that the Aust Post investigation is incomplete and may indeed turn up the item yet.
If it does turn up and ends up delivered the buyer has their item and their money back.
The seller has lost both.
Surely then the buyer is obliged to recompense the seller and eBay ought to facilitate that.
Just seems so wrong that they have jumped the gun here.
I'm glad we mostly use untracked large letter and just send out a replacement when a buyer messages us that their item has not arrived.
It just would not seem worth it to use tracking, just cop the occasional truly lost item yourself.
Message 4 of 31
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:
So eBay have just disregarded the fact that the Aust Post investigation is incomplete and may indeed turn up the item yet.

Recently, a seller was advised by an eBay rep that if an item isn't delivered to the buyer within 5 days of being posted, the seller "should refund". Smiley Surprised Smiley Mad Smiley Sad

It's madness, and just wrong IMHO, for all kinds of reasons. I can't really offer much beyond that, I disagree with the way eBay handles many of these cases, and quite often think they have no buiness handling them at all (except in cases where the seller refuses to), but I suspect something drastic would need to happen to get any of this to change. 

Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

Thankfully all our stuff is low priced and to get hit with something like this is not so bad.

I truly feel for those sellers who have chosen higher value items as their product/business line.

The risk of still losing when you have done your very best to follow all the ebay/paypal shipping guidelines would be way too high IMHO.

I'm guessing that the other major global selling platforms have similar policies to this tho.

Having said that I guess as a seller going into this platform you need to be fully aware of what you are signing up to.

I am finding these days that the best price when I'm searching is quite often not on ebay.

This may be sellers covering these kind of losses by embedding the projected losses into their bottom line price.

I recently had occasion to purchase an item near enough to $600.

I found it on ebay with free express delivery from Sydney to Brisbane. The ebay price was the best I could find online for it.

I then approached a local retailer (who stocked the very same product by Part Number) with the ebay price and they beat that price by 10%. And since it was on their shelf I could walk out with it immediately. I never gave the ebay seller the further opportunity to price match as I figured he would be unable to do so due to ebay selling policies. Just wonder how many times this kind of thing is happening these days.

Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

Did they contact AusPost? I had a parcel that has been showing 'in transit' for over a week which I know was delivered. The buyer contacted me saying they love it and order 3 more. 

Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

THe best thing to happen in these situations ( and if ebay is smart it could make fantastic $ from it and improve the number of sellers fees and so on ) is that the freight company has to be an ebay approved distributor and is held liable when they screw up.

Of course ebay would never do that as it doesnt screw as seller, as its not easy $. Having a redraw an a paypal account is an easy $.

The mind boggles at how much extra money ebay could make by involving a third party in transactions.

Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

Yes the seller raised a missing article report with AP.
The buyer opened the INR case pretty much as soon as the eBay estimated delivery date passed.
Then escalated as soon as the seller responded with tracking information. And because the tracking shows "in transit" which is not delivered eBay closed the case in favour of the buyer. Even despite the fact that the AP investigation was incomplete.
Just so wrong.
In this case it seems the seller has done everything they possibly could and should have and are still wrong and fully accountable.
Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

What happens if the item is subsequently delivered post refund?

Message 10 of 31
Latest reply