Seller non-protection

This is mainly about paypal, however, I used Ebay to sell my items and buyer used Ebay to purchase.  The buyer bought 2 x items and paid separately, as they were going to the same person, same address I included both items in the one registered with tracking prepaid envelope (free postage for the buyer). I advised the buyer through Ebay message that I had included both items in one envelope.   After 3 months the buyer disputed one of the items claiming it to be an unauthorised purchase.  Paypal in early February suspended the payment for that item and advised me that they would look into it, however, it could take up to 75 days for the matter to be resolved.   In the past couple of days Paypal advised that they have debited the payment from my accunt and would then debit a further $15 chargeback fee as well.  I have provided proof of shipping and any other details they have requested.  So where is the seller protection in this case.  I have had no contact from the buyer whatsoever and am thinking I will send them an email and ask for my disputed item back..   but I won't hold my breath.  Cheesed off !!!!

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Seller non-protection

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It sounds like it was a bank chargeback on the grounds of Unauthorised use of the credit card.

Unfortunately all the proof of postage and delivery does you no good at all.

If you do not get the item back, tell the buyer you will be reporting them to ACORN for fraud....or repay you for the item they have kept even though they have been refunded.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Seller non-protection

Now you know that if a buyer makes separate payments you should not post together, if you do then you only have seller protection for one item.

If the chargeback was for only one of the items and you supplied the tracking number then you should have had seller protection and should be on the phone to Paypal.  If there were two claims, one for each item, then you should still have seller protection for one.

See what a trendsetter I am?

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Seller non-protection

As this happens all the time (buyers paying for items separately) the seller has three options-

-Post each item separately (and wait for the angry messages, possible negative/neutral feedback and a defect for postage costs from your disgruntled buyer

-Post together (and lose your seller protection) as well as the 10% percent charge on the excess postage the buyer paid (which you've refunded and can only be re-cooped by a long call to eBay for a minimal amount)

-Refund and request a combined payment (earning you an 'out of stock' defect for refunding in full and virtually impossible to re-invoice due to the ebay system).

Yet another NO-WIN situation for sellers from the eBay system.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Seller non-protection

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It sounds like it was a bank chargeback on the grounds of Unauthorised use of the credit card.

Unfortunately all the proof of postage and delivery does you no good at all.

If you do not get the item back, tell the buyer you will be reporting them to ACORN for fraud....or repay you for the item they have kept even though they have been refunded.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Seller non-protection

Now you know that if a buyer makes separate payments you should not post together, if you do then you only have seller protection for one item.

If the chargeback was for only one of the items and you supplied the tracking number then you should have had seller protection and should be on the phone to Paypal.  If there were two claims, one for each item, then you should still have seller protection for one.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Seller non-protection

As this happens all the time (buyers paying for items separately) the seller has three options-

-Post each item separately (and wait for the angry messages, possible negative/neutral feedback and a defect for postage costs from your disgruntled buyer

-Post together (and lose your seller protection) as well as the 10% percent charge on the excess postage the buyer paid (which you've refunded and can only be re-cooped by a long call to eBay for a minimal amount)

-Refund and request a combined payment (earning you an 'out of stock' defect for refunding in full and virtually impossible to re-invoice due to the ebay system).

Yet another NO-WIN situation for sellers from the eBay system.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply