Seller performance standards

I am interested in other thoughts about this one.

I have been able to maintain my Top-rated performance standard for some time now.

I know that this measure of seller performance is based on a number of things, as outlined in the defect areas.

As is the case with a lot of ebayers, my rate or QUANTITY of selling has decreased quite dramatically over the last year or so, though the QUALITY of my service has remained, I believe, as good as it ever was.

It is clear that this is not just me but a general trend especially for small sellers. I therefore don't believe that the drop in sales is really the result of anything I have or haven't done.

Naturally my performance standard is slipping gradually as a result of this, because with each update on the 20th of the month my total sales for the rolling year are less than they were the previous month.

I really don't think that the measure of one's performance should be so influenced by quantity of sales, when it is clear that this is not the result of poor seller performance but something that is happening to more and more small sellers as a general trend.

What do feel about this?

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Seller performance standards

I get what you are trying to convey but I dont think it quite works like that. If your standard of service is the same, theoretically your defect rate should still stay near the same % of sales even if sales decrease over time. For example if you recieve 2 defects in a month when you sell one hundred items, and your sales next month slip to fifty items, in theory you would expect to only recieve one defect that month. ebay has made allowances for small sellers in the defect rate programme, by requiring them to have at least eight defects from different sellers or two claims without seller resolution before account restrictions occur. For larger sellers the defect rate is calculated as a % of sales before restrictions occur.

Peoples defect rates are possibly trending up as a result of changes ebay has made to return policies, coupled with higher visibility of the "return item" icons etc. in preference to contacting seller before opening a case when problems occur. This could result in buyers heading straight to claims, rather than contacting sellers direct to resolve problems. Many buyers are also unaware that a "3" for item description or postage time will inflict a defect on a sellers account and many sellers argue a warning should pop up to the buyer, detailing the effect a three score will have ( same as now occurs when leaving negative feedback ) . Some Eastern states sellers are finding new Australia Post mail sorting centres are causing delays, which is resulting in sellers wearing defects for slow postage.

Message 2 of 2
Latest reply