Sellers Beware - Outrageous Estimated Delivery Date

This one takes the cake.  Received an eBay message this afternoon at 4.12pm advising an Item I ordered has been sent and the Estimated delivery date is Thursday 8th October - MAGIC !!  Smiley LOL

I don't usually take any notice of their messages regarding delivery - now I wonder how often my buyers receive messages similar to this & what date will appear when they leave Feedback and are asked, 'Did your item arrive before such & such a date'  ?

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

That is certainly one for the books.

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

you do realise its friday and anything is posible   when ebay does there thing

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

Hahaha, yeah sure is, I had to look twice to check it didn't say November.  The really weird thing is, I ordered 3 different items last Friday and two arrived on Tuesday after the long weekend & the seller messaged to say the third was out of stock & not due back in stock until November.  I wasn't concerned because I have bought from them several times in the past, so just agreed to have it back ordered.  All rather peculiar - but how can eBay possibly estimate & state a delivery date before the current date ??  Really makes me wonder and if they do it often, then I can see defects on the horizon for a lot of sellers . . . . . . . .

Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

Mmmm, never thought of that joe - true
Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

Well I just had a parcel delivered today signature required and it says delivered on 10th October so it was actually delivered tomorrow

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

Another good one - US time perhaps ?
Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

If I didn't know any better, I'd suspect eBay of setting sellers up to fail when stuff like this happens. Smiley Frustrated

Even inflating handling time doesn't seem to matter anymore because eBay will adjust the ETA as soon as an item is marked as posted (or so it seems from looking at a couple of the ETAs on my recent orders), so you'd have to mark as posted 1-2 days after actually doing so for the original ETA to remain in place. 

Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

US time is yesterday. We're in tomorrow to them..................gawd, my head hurts after typing that!

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

If I didn't know any better, I'd suspect eBay of setting sellers up to fail when stuff like this happens. Smiley Frustrated

Even inflating handling time doesn't seem to matter anymore because eBay will adjust the ETA as soon as an item is marked as posted (or so it seems from looking at a couple of the ETAs on my recent orders), so you'd have to mark as posted 1-2 days after actually doing so for the original ETA to remain in place. 

I get what you're saying (I think Smiley Happy), but even so, if that was the case, the other two items were marked as posted last Friday, & this as posted today ?? Hahaha, so maybe the original ETA remains in place no matter what ??

But you are spot on, it is setting sellers up to fail - so when they ask if it arrived before 8th, I'll just say yes - the hopeless system will probably never be able to put 2 + 2 together  Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply