Selling collectible items (alcohol)

madebyearth
Community Member

Hi,

I just received an email that eBay have removed my item due to it being a full can of alcohol.

I have sold these before, with no problems.
In fact previous times I have researched on eBay and found that as the item is collectible it was ok to list and sell.

I am selling a Sydney Swans 2005 AFL Premiership limited edition can.
It is full of beer (unopened) but is 7 years old and well past it's use by date.

Have eBay policies changed, or have the got this one wrong (ie it can be sold as a collectible item)

Thanks
Martin

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

I thought it was OK.

You may need to post by signed mail or have some age test or something so a minor can not buy it.
Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

I may be wrong but it can be sold as a collectable (no licence required) but you still cant sell to a minor
Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

Somebody obviously reported it.
Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

ebay membership is only open to OVER 18s so that's not a prob.

i think you'll need a liquor licence in Any state to sell
there are special 'collectables only ' licences available
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

madebyearth
Community Member

Yeah, eBay just sent through their standard email which may or may not be applicable to me.
Don't want to do the wrong thing, but I also don't want to accept a decision if it's incorrect.

If someone has reported the ad, then surely eBay look at it and make a decision based on their policies.

If it's not too much of a pain in the butt I'll follow specific criteria, otherwise I won't bother.

Don't really mind if I move the beer cans or now, the longer I wait, the more value they have...

Martin

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

If someone has reported the ad, then surely eBay look at it and make a decision based on their policies.

Wouldn't bet the farm on it, if they looked into every thing that is reported they would never see the light of day, no matter how many employees they had. I think they would leave any action until/if  the seller involved contacted them, and that is what you should do IMO.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

madebyearth
Community Member

Have done.

Will let everyone know what their reply is when I get it ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

It would seem that you can not sell the alcohol as a collecable, the policy is here (there is an example for full containers):

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/alcohol.html

Also the policy states "When alcohol is posted to a buyer, you must obtain the signature of an adult (over 18 years of age)"

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

madebyearth
Community Member
Yep, here's my reply from eBay...

Hello Martin,

Thanks for contacting eBay in relation to the removal of your listings.

We have not updated our policies regarding alcoholic beverages or wine. Please be advised that you need to have a license in order to sell alcohol/wines on eBay.

If you do not have a liquor license and only intend to sell the bottle, you may list it provided you empty the bottle and it must clearly show in the picture.

Beer cans/bottlescan be listed on the site if they are empty and state/show such in the listing. Beer cans/bottles that are still full must comply with all aspects of the alcohol policy in order to be listed on eBay.

You may refer this link for your refernce:

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/alcohol.html

I hope this helps explain why we removed your listing. We appreciate your cooperation.

Best Regards,

Mark Ar

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply