Selling to the USA and UK . Buyers are having to pay for each individual sale.

Myself and at least 6 other card sellers are getting alot of complaints by our overseas buyers in both the US and UK .  We have all complained to ebay and are getting no where.   Our customers want to purchase more than 1 item at a time usually a minimum of 5 up to 20 items and straight after purchase are directed to pay immediately.  so they have to pay for every item seperately and hence cant be bothered .  Who can blame them?  Why is this happening when ebay customer support has told me i have my settings correct?  How can it be corrected ?

Message 1 of 121
Latest reply
120 REPLIES 120

You don't seem to have immediate payment required on your listings, so they should be able to purchase several items and pay for them with one payment, unless they are using the eBay app for mobile devices like iPhones etc. 

If a buyer is using the app, multiple purchases can't be combined at checkout unless they switch to the classic site.

If they're not using the app, if they confirm a purchase they will arrive at a page that has a "Please pay for your item now" note with a Pay Now button to go through checkout and much smaller, often unnoticed, links to continue shopping / return to the seller's store, so they should be able to skip payment and go back to the store to purchase more items before going to checkout. A lot of buyers (even in Australia) don't seem to realise that - I even talked one of my local buyers through the entire process of how to confirm individual purchases and then go through checkout once for all of them, and afterwards they still purchased and paid for the items separately. o_O

I'm pretty sure all members in the US and UK have the cart function, so they should also be able to add items to their cart and proceed to checkout with all items they wish to purchase. 

If none of the above is the issue, unfortunately I have no idea. 

Message 2 of 121
Latest reply

I get the smae thing with aussie buyers they purchase more than one patch but ebay direct them to pay now after each purchase instead of to keep shopping. I am paying a lot more in fees because of it.

Message 3 of 121
Latest reply

Most (not all) of our buyers who buy multiple items pay with individual transactions.

I'm sure they would have the CART function, but we assumed they just have no idea what it means or how to use it.

It is annoying as we pay an extra 30-cents to PayPal for each additional payment transaction.

So becasue of this I will assume that nothing will be done about it as they are simply collecting more in fees.

IMHO why do you need a BUY IT NOW button? All you need is the ADD TO CART buttion, then proceed to checkout, as is the case with every other web shopping site around.

Message 4 of 121
Latest reply

exactly same thing is happening to me, why it affects only some UK & USA buyers I have no idea.

comment from my buyer WHO IS NOT USING AN APP OR IPHONE "No, they seem to have changed it since the first time, and there is no COMMIT TO BUY! So I fear you have the bother of a refund?!"

When customer complains to ebay they are told that my listings must be set for "require imediate payment" this is untrue - this buyer from UK has purchased multiple items from me previously with no problem.

Something has changed "the commit to purchase button is not appearing, giving customers no option than to buy 1 item, they then get directed to PAY NOW, there is no where else for them to go they have to pay then purchase next item & pay and so on.etc..

Buyers are walking - it is too time consuming and confusing for them. I am talking buyers that have been ebaying foy years, they know what they are doing.

Paypal is having a field day with this reaping extra fees for the separate payments, and the sellers are spending hours giving refunds for overpaid posrtage to disgruntled buyers who can't understand what is going on & neither can I.

My buyer in USA writes the following "As a long-time eBayer this has been a recent phenomenon. It used to be that when you would purchase an item it would prompt a window which asked you to confirm your intent to buy. When you answered yes it would send it to your purchase history and you could wait for combined shipping. You can no longer do this. When you purchase a card there is a statement at the top of the page that tells you that if you do not complete the transaction the item can still be purchased by any other buyer, i.e. you can not hold an item, you must complete the transaction in full. 

This is happening to several Aussie card sellers that I know of - come on we are not all imagining this - SOMETHING HAS CHANGED & IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED.

I had to accept an international agreement to sell to o/seas buyers, but now I find it is ridiculously hard for them to buy from me, need some help here please, all went smoothly before, what's changed????

Message 5 of 121
Latest reply

It is a real problem.  The buyers are getting cranky at us because they think it is the way we have set up our site.  Confusion reigns when all individual transactions are refunded and then a combined invoice is sent.  The buyers are not educated and the sellers are getting the blame via feedback and star ratings.  This is a recurring problem that has been happening for over 3 months.  This is also the reason I shut my shop because the majority of my transactions were overseas and I spent a better part of my time refunding payments, explaining whey they were refunded and then reissuing invoices.   I fully appreciate that ebay / paypal will not change this because as mentioned in this threat - paypal are getting 30 odd cents for every transaction.  AND unfortunately the majority of our transactions are $2 and $3 each. 

Message 6 of 121
Latest reply

Ok, this seems to be a definite problem on the US site (I didn't check eBay UK).

I checked a listing for a card on eBay AU - I had buy it now and add to cart buttons. I clicked the BIN button and was taken to the standard commit to buy page, so I can only presume I would have been able to do that and continue shopping as normal.

I then logged into eBay US and checked the same listing. I only had a BIN button and no add to cart, and when I clicked BIN I was indeed taken immediately to log into PayPal to pay as it is with immediate payment required - but even more curiously, I have been able to add immediate payment required items to my cart and check out several at once from the same seller so even if by some odd glitch the listings themselves were set to require immediate payment on the US site, that doesn't explain the absence of the "Add to cart" button, nor why it (so far) seems to be isolated to card sellers. o_O

Sorry I can't offer any more help, but it is an eBay US / UK tech issue I warrant, so I would be directing all enquiries / complaints their way.

Message 7 of 121
Latest reply

I had a buyer fron USA today, and she bought 3 greeting cards from me,  but did it right and waited for my invoice.

so no problem there.

Message 8 of 121
Latest reply

I am having exactly the same issues.  Only overseas buyers BUT not all of them.   Some do get upset as they think it is my settings and don't buy.  Some ask how to get around it, to which we don't have an answer, others buy and pay, buy & pay which means they are duplicating postage which has to be refunded, and then added to that the extra Paypal fees we are coping for each individual purchase.   Something has changed and it is very frustrating for both the seller and the buyers.      I just hope it gets sorted out soon !!!

Message 9 of 121
Latest reply

ok so there is a glich on the US site but where to start to get it fixed as its obviously affecting many not a few and causing us to accumulate extra fees but more so I believe its causing us to drop sales.  Its just too much hassle for the buyers.  I for 1 have already complained to 2 areas of customer support as has 1 of my buyers from the US to the US site and getting no where.  I believe others have complained also how do we get someone to take action ?

Message 10 of 121
Latest reply