Share you irritating buyer stories here

I need to be made to feel better, by knowing everyone else is dealing with stupid buyers as well.

Just had a buyer ask me a question about the sizing of an item AFTER they purchased it. Who wants to bet it wont fit and it'll be my fault in their eyes?

In the same day I had an item which I sent out two months ago returned to me, and today I got a reply from the buyer. They said 'oh, yeah, we've moved, here's the new address'. Well, hold on, firstly, you didn't notice your item go missing for two months?? Secondly, there is a second lot of postage to be paid on this now, you think I'm just going to foot the bill because you moved and gave me your old address? Seriously?

Tell me your stupid buyer story of the week, make me feel better 🙂

Message 1 of 58
Latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

I got a message last week, Item Not as Described, with a rather angry message attached. I immediately replied, apologising profusely, explaining that I didn't know the items were glass and not quartz and if she wanted to return said items, I'd be more than happy to issue a full refund, including return postage, on their return. Or, if she wanted to keep them, I'd refund the cost of 2, so she got 3 for the price of 1.

I know it's no excuse, but the items I'm selling off, I'm calling them what they were called when I bought them a few years ago, because most things, I don't know any better. I have since altered the remaining listings of those items to reflect what she told me and since then have learned that they are quartz, but lab created quartz.

I told her that I looked forward to hearing back from her with what she wants to do. So far, no reply and no return of items. Postage should have only taken 2-3 days from her address. So, all I can assume now is that she is happy to keep them, but it would be nice to know one way or the other. I'm still waiting for 3 red dots to appear, but so far there is nothing.

The last thing I want to do is deceive anyone.

I sold a few items a few months back and the buyer messaged me and said he was absolutely stoked with them, but was I aware that they weren't the real McCoy. I said no, but afterwards I thought that it made sense because the real ones don't come in that colour. I did a search on google and sure enough. I have since advertised same items as being lab created as that's what they are. People are still buying them. That buyer gave me glowing feedback and 5 stars for everything and even came back several times and bought more stuff.

So, I guess I have posted a good and annoying buyer experience! At least my buyer contacted me and didn't just red dot me, which I am very grateful for.

Message 2 of 58
Latest reply

We had a buyer contact us today complaining that the small daisy flowers she purchased and received were not hair clips.

She said that our listing says that they are hair clips.

The listing clearly states in the title and in the description that they are embellishments to be used FOR headbands and/or hair clips.

The pictures in the listing show the front and reverse sides of the flowers and nowhere are there any clips to be seen.

I calmly pointed this out to her in a reply and so far have heard no more.

But waiting now for the big red dot just because the buyer did not bother to look at or read the listing carefully enough.

Message 3 of 58
Latest reply

I'm convinced a certain exchange I had with a potential buyer was someone trying to troll me - I don't ship overseas via eBay, but someone in the US sent a message asking if I would ship to them and how much the postage would be. I sent a quick message back and quoted for Pack & Track, explaining it was the price for tracked shipping from Australia to the US. 

Long story short, I continued to receive messages asking, essentially, "but how much to where I live?" (buyer's address was in Texas, from memory). I tried to explain a couple of different ways that the $20 quote I gave them was how much it was to where they live, but they didn't get it until my reply contained nothing but "It is $20.00" . (The reason I suspect it was someone playing around is because earlier the same day, I had posted here in the forums about how chicken I was to ship OS, and my selling ID is not the world's best kept secret Smiley LOL ).

Not the worst, most interesting or entertaining I've heard about, but probably the most unfathomable exchange I've had if genuine, and sometimes I don't really understand why people will ask if a jewellery item is "for men" etc. I occasionally get questions where I have to say stuff like "...as noted in the listing, the answer to your question is XXXX" (eg Q: "Is this real silver? A: "As noted in the listing, this is made from [some metal that is not sterling silver]"), but that's pretty normal, really. 

Message 4 of 58
Latest reply

This is sort of the reverse, but I was just chatting with my sister as i was reading this and she said she knew of one irritating seller.

Her teen daughter saw a book advertised. Showed my sister, who okayed it. Photo of book in ad, estimated delivery time of 5-7 days away, $23. So she bought it.

Couple of days later, my sister finds a digital book in her email. They printed it off (90 pages) and she went back to re-read the ad and sure enough, in the body of the text, it mentioned being digital. But my sister felt it was misleading the way it was advertised, with a photo of a real paper copy of the book, delayed delivery date etc.

She would never have ordered it if she had known she had to print it all herself.

So she never gave feedback.

A few years ago, we used to sell.

Most irritating buyer was someone who bought a large, pick up item-an artist's desk for just over $70- but she was in Sydney. We are in Melbourne.

Then she wanted us to recommend a courier. We didn't know any, but my sister travelled to a local company and got a quote ($130) plus rang another for a quote ($170). The buyer didn't like either quote, said they were too high.

She looked on the internet and found a place where you could pack it up yourself and it would be done cheaper (about $95), and asked us to go there but it was an hour's drive away so we said no.

Then she said she was coming down to Melbourne and would pick it up herself.

Then a week later, she said okay, we could use the local courier so my sister delivered it to the courier, taken apart and with all screws etc in a bag.

The lady got the desk and wasn't happy, said she had had to pay too much on the whole transaction and it wasn't worth $200.

It probably wasn't, to tell the truth, but $130 of that cost wasn't our fault!!

Message 5 of 58
Latest reply

Was threatened with negative feedback over DVD becuase they didn't like the ending.

DVD was 'Control' the story of Joy Division

Must have thought it was romantic comedy with Adam Sandler!! 

Message 6 of 58
Latest reply

eBay does not allow the sale of digital goods on its website.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/downloadable.html

Message 7 of 58
Latest reply

@nifty_sven wrote:

Was threatened with negative feedback over DVD becuase they didn't like the ending.

DVD was 'Control' the story of Joy Division

Must have thought it was romantic comedy with Adam Sandler!! 

I've seen a few sellers cop a negative due to the buyer not liking the movie. What happened to finding out what the movie is about before you buy it? No-one forced them to buy it, least of all the seller!

Message 8 of 58
Latest reply

I had a buyer win a dress from me a couple of weeks ago. When she received it, she messaged me to let me know that she would have to return it because it was too large for her.

I replied by saying that I was quite surprised to hear that it didn't fit her, as I always provide quite accurate measurements. She responded that she just got really excited about the dress, and didn't look at the measurements (!!??!!) before bidding.

I agreed to a return and refund despite that and added that I wouldn't normally accept a return in such circumstances but because there had been other bidders, I was likely to sell it as a Second chance offer (which I did, thankfully)

The 'best' bit was that I then received feedback from the buyer which said: "Beautiful dress but did not fit and had to get a refund."

I messaged her saying that I was a bit upset about this feedback, as this could imply that the fault for this lay with me, the seller, when in fact it was HER fault, and that feedback was meant to reflect the quality of service provided by the seller, not just to give us a potted history of the transaction. I don't think she really understood what I was on about. . . .a newby, but also a bit stupi

Message 9 of 58
Latest reply

I buy a lot of seed and plants and it never ceses to amaze me how many of the sellers have negs and neturals left for seed that has only been sent a few days before and the buyer seems amazed it has not yet come up yet..it would drive me crazy if I was on the reciving end of something so stupid

Message 10 of 58
Latest reply