Share you irritating buyer stories here

I need to be made to feel better, by knowing everyone else is dealing with stupid buyers as well.

Just had a buyer ask me a question about the sizing of an item AFTER they purchased it. Who wants to bet it wont fit and it'll be my fault in their eyes?

In the same day I had an item which I sent out two months ago returned to me, and today I got a reply from the buyer. They said 'oh, yeah, we've moved, here's the new address'. Well, hold on, firstly, you didn't notice your item go missing for two months?? Secondly, there is a second lot of postage to be paid on this now, you think I'm just going to foot the bill because you moved and gave me your old address? Seriously?

Tell me your stupid buyer story of the week, make me feel better 🙂

Message 1 of 58
Latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

many years ago I opened a new seller account to sell a particular collection of pottery items.

started with just 2 items.. winning bidder of one left a neg.

Discription verry poor 3chips on rim,adv. in perfect condition, watch this one

I was heartbroken as I knew it did not have chips at all...

however with a (-1) fback I still listed a further 10 or so items... this eBayer bid on all 10.... obviously he was trying to corner them, putting othr  buyers off!!!

(I checked his fb and it was the only type of pottery he ever purchased ...)

grrrrr..   I cancelled his bids, put him on my BBL and fortunately did manage to sell the rest, getting good prices too..

but learned my lesson if someone leaves an unwarranted neg. it may be to better their chances on other items, so BBL immediately!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 11 of 58
Latest reply

I sell small craft items which most people buy quite a few at a time to save postage. I package them all together in a plastic cello bag. Often buyers tell me that they received the sticker or paper tole and when was I sending the others they had purchased?
I then tell them to look in the cello bag as I am sure I packaged them altogether. They come back with I didn't look behind the fist one, thank you!!!! I get this heaps, that I feel lke adding a note that all are packaged together.

I also get buyers asking the size of things, which I reply with the measurements. But I feel like saying "Please read the listing as this will tell you"!!!
Message 12 of 58
Latest reply

I really wish buyers would read the description. I just listed a really small gemstone, 7x5mm and I wrote in the description in bold "please note the size of this stone. It's very small. Photos taken with macro setting and appear much larger".

I can almost guarantee that if it sells, the buyer will complain about how small it is and how much bigger it looked in the photos. I have seen that so often in other sellers negative feedback.

Message 13 of 58
Latest reply

Have you tried taking the photos against another object like a 5c coin? 

Message 14 of 58
Latest reply

Yes a comparison such as a coin or tape measure or ruler might be wise if this a real concern you have.

Message 15 of 58
Latest reply

I had a buyer message me today asking if I thought a top (that has measurements in the listing) will fit her. I don't know her, no other details just "will it fit me"?
Message 16 of 58
Latest reply

@no_tv*10 wrote:
I had a buyer message me today asking if I thought a top (that has measurements in the listing) will fit her. I don't know her, no other details just "will it fit me"?

The answer to that question is always no 😛 Even if it does I don't want to deal with you, so no!

Message 17 of 58
Latest reply

@van_werkhoven wrote:

I need to be made to feel better, by knowing everyone else is dealing with stupid buyers as well.

Tell me your stupid buyer story of the week, make me feel better 🙂

my wife listed a Canon EOS film camera body for auction some years back.  It only got a few bids and ended up going for $10 to a member that had just joined that day.

Sent an invoice . . . . waited a couple of days before sending a polite message regarding payment . . . . . got a reply a couple of days later along the lines of "this is a film camera, you can't get film anymore therefore the camera is useless".  Sent her a message saying that the title had FILM CAMERA in it and it was stated twice in the description that it as a film camera and it was listed in the category 'Film Cameras' and that if payment wasn't received within three days an UnPaid Item case would be opened against her.  She replied quicksmart that she was not going to pay so my wife opened a case immediately.

Anyway, once the case was closed my wife relisted the camera body and it sold for $15.

Stupid, stupid buyer.  Went straight onto all BBLs of accounts held by my wife and I.

Message 18 of 58
Latest reply

I have few.

And would never post them here. Or anywhere else.

Some things don't need to be publicised.

Message 19 of 58
Latest reply

What an insightful contribution to the discussion.

Message 20 of 58
Latest reply