Should I refund if the buyer does not respond?

Around 40 days ago, a buyer purchased something from me then later told me it had gone missing.

I told them I didn't have any more stock right now but I should be getting some more soon so they could wait or I could give them a refund.

They opted to wait. Unfortunately I did not get any more stock and the buyer's original order was also returned to me marked Return to Sender.

I messaged the buyer and asked them whether I could send them the returned item (whose packaging is  a bit crushed but the product is fine) or if they wanted a refund.

They have not replied. I'm considering calling them. If I don't get a reply...what should I do? Just send a refund? I mean everyone tells buyers to watch out for the 45 days but I don't want the 45 days to pass either because then I can't refund them right?

The item was sent in a letter originally. Hope I can get some advice, thank you 🙂

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I think you're able to refund a PayPal payment up to 60 days after it was received, so even if the 45 day claim period passes, you'll still have another 2 weeks to refund directly from the original payment. (After that, you would have to manually send money, I would probably refund before 60 days to help ensure a chargeback couldn't be initiated after I'd already sent funds).

Usually in these kinds of circumstances, I provide the buyer with a choice, but state that I will take X action by a certain time / date if I'm not able to confirm their preference by then (and it will typically be the path of least complications, eg in these circumstances, I would tell them I'll issue the refund if I can't confirm their choice). 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I think you're able to refund a PayPal payment up to 60 days after it was received, so even if the 45 day claim period passes, you'll still have another 2 weeks to refund directly from the original payment. (After that, you would have to manually send money, I would probably refund before 60 days to help ensure a chargeback couldn't be initiated after I'd already sent funds).

Usually in these kinds of circumstances, I provide the buyer with a choice, but state that I will take X action by a certain time / date if I'm not able to confirm their preference by then (and it will typically be the path of least complications, eg in these circumstances, I would tell them I'll issue the refund if I can't confirm their choice). 

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Hi DG! Thanks for much for your help and advice!

I didn't know you could still do refunds after 45 days. Good to know I still have 2 weeks after that 🙂

Your suggestion sounds like a great idea - my next step will be to message the buyer and give them a deadline then. Thanks again!

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply