Sticking with BIN in my store now Auction prices are CR*P!

I'm a fairly new seller , just selling off my collection of vintage jewellery but I'm noticing I can get decent prices BIN in my store but Auction something and its practically paying them to take it away 😕

I've had 3 auctions end tonight that were seriously disappointing on item I LOST $100 on ... I was waiting for the last second bids that didn't come.

Is this a common trend on eBay ?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

It's been a good few years since an auction of mine resulted in a decent end price, and more than a year since I actually ran one (so my experience is not exactly current, but was at least consistent over the last couple of years I tried them).

I know some sellers still do well with auctions, but they just don't seem popular with my buyers at all (I sell jewellery and craft supplies). I used to list stuff at a pretty good start price (50% off the BIN price for the same item in the store I run), and I would actually sell the item at the BIN amount while it ran, yet no one bid on the auction(s). 

I also lost count of the times a one-off item would end with 0 interest, but sell within a couple of days after being relisted at full BIN price.

I think these days you either have to have a really hot item that people will compete for, or have built up a decent amount of followers for your auctions, to be able to consistently have success with them. 

Just a tip, though, no matter what, it's recommended to always have a start price that is the lowest you'd be happy to sell the item for, so that you're never disappointed if an item only gets one bid. To be honest, I would be very reluctant to start an auction below the price I paid for an item these days (especially $100 under 😞 ), even if I was confident it would get a bit of interest (eBay has a habit of undermining my confidence as a seller, in all kinds of ways Smiley LOL ). 

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Unless something is a red hot item, then the novelty of hanging around bidding on a maybe win, maybe not, and receive eventually, maybe for most has worn off for all but the budget minded and buzz seeking penny pinchers.

See an item today, buy immediately and have it on its way within 24 hours is the normal expectation of many online shoppere now.

Even the days of slight reduction in price for sake of a quick sale has gone. Unless your item is a rare piece then someone somewhere is offering an alternative that buyers can guarantte to be theirs mmediately.

Bidding on Ebay was almost a sport for many, those days have gone. Now online shopping is just a functional and convenient way of obtaining items. Drawn out bidding is not convenience if you really want it.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

gorgeous jewellery, all that Juliana drool ! fabulous to see a bit of class, good luck

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

I still run auctions on a regular basis on my private account and do very well with them. As Digi noted, the secret is to have rare, one off items that no one else has. This usually means antiques and collectables.

I start the auctions at close to the full price I think they are worth. Usually when they sell, they only sell to one or two bidders, but occasionally I still get a bidding war and the item makes a lot more than expected. I have built up a number of followers on this account and recieve regular repeat buyers.

A large number of items dont recieve any bids. These usually get another run as an auction and then get converted to 30 day BINS at the auction start price. Eventually a high % of these items sell within a few months.

If I list carpy junk, it may sell, it may not...... and always at a modest price. There is still a bit of money in low value junk if you get it for next to nothing,  but one good quality collectable is worth 30 or 40 junk listings.

I run BINS on my stores, but occasionally auction off a rare item to act as window dressing to draw in customers. The items I auction on the stores are all super rare / red hot sellers and often sell for more than I would list them for as BINS.

PS. as others have noted, your items are really nice and should find a market.     Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

i think most experienced sellers are pricing their auction opening bids at a price they are happy to get if no other bids are made.

so if i only get 1 bid well i got my minimum i was prepared to sell for.

if i get several bids thats a bonus.

i usually choose BIN for the fact i can list for 30 days since i lost the 3 free relists.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

I sell at auction and I always have the start price at the minimum I'm willing to accept as bidding wars rarely occur these days. Those days are gone. The Chinese still seem to get them, but they are rare for anyone else. Most of the time my auctions sell with one, sometimes 2 bids and very rarely a few more. It depends on what the item is. I never expect last second bidders, even though there is the rare occurrence that it happens.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

I am mainly a buyer.

I have noticed that for everyday items where a lot of other sellers have similar stuff, they are usually BIN items. Things such as spices, double sided tape, cardstock etc. I'm talking smaller items that I want to just go in & order, they are not that special that I would want to wait around.

On the other hand, larger, pick up only items eg second hand furniture, some of those auctions go really well. I would guess you need to have something that is in reasonable demand though as some of the less fashionable items don't get bids at all.

My advice, for what it is worth, would be never to list any item of yours, BIN or auction format, for less than the minimum you are willing to sell & feel happy about the sale as it is perfectly possible you'll only get one bid.

If it is quality jewellery you are selling, list it higher price, BIN. Make your ad detailed and appealing, with good, clear photos.

I've seen a few jewellery sellers getting decent prices but they do have good items and seem to do everything else right-quick communication, post out quickly etc. Very professional.

I do heaps of spending online these days, much more than in previous years, but 90% of it is no longer on ebay. But if you have unusual or vintage or quality items that aren't readily available in shops you should do well on ebay with BIN.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

On the other hand, larger, pick up only items eg second hand furniture, some of those auctions go really well. I would guess you need to have something that is in reasonable demand though as some of the less fashionable items don't get bids at all.

This is because location is the attraction here, most of the competition is not within distance.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

I came here to work out what the hell is going on with auctions these days. It seems nobody is interested anymore. Unbelieveable really, it's a buyers market. Is everyone too distracted by facebook? I have seen plenty of auctions where 15 people are watching, one person bid's the starting price and that's it. Or, two or three people bid and that's it. New items go for half the price that you'd pay on a BIN. Seriousy don't understand what the deal is. 

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply