Suspect bidding

Hi 

I have some records listed at the moment and have had some suspicious bidding.

I have had one person go through my listings and make bids and retract them and then rebid at a lower amount (about 30 listings).

I can't see why someone would do this and it has caused one of my regular customers to owe several hundred dollars as it seems that this person has only targeted auctions where my regular customer has bid on.

What it looks like to me is, this person has gone through and put in bids to probe the top bids of others and then retract and then bid an amount that is under the top bid to boost the price, but I don't see how it benefits anyone. It makes me look like I am using a shill.

Should I report this activity to eBay?

As it stands I am going to cancel all the bids by this buyer.

Regards

Matt

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Suspect bidding

Nothing new to me I can tell you. It's becoming the norm to find other bidders on auctions I'm interested in with 138 or so bid retractions. Just a joke. 

Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

Suspect bidding

I've been following this story with interest and for the life of me cannot begin to fathom what they would hope to gain from doing this.
The only thing I can dream up is that for some weird reason they are trying to make it appear to your one particular genuine bidder that you are shilling in the hope that they will report you for doing that. But why? Could it be that you could have encountered them under some other id and had some kind of run-in?
Could they be a competitor in disguise?
I'm intrigued really.
Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

Suspect bidding

Yep, it's bizzare. 

And I haven't heard back from the guy who's bids I cancelled.

I did upset a guy in Itay, who had implied that I was overcharching for postage, but these bids came from an account in the US

Anyway thanks to everyone for the advice and insight, very much appreciated.

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

Suspect bidding

@padi*0409 wrote:

Errrr, both wrong, the OP cancelled all the serial retractors bids so I presume that's why it's now 0%..............

"awards self a Wagon Wheel. Bourbon...............hahahaha"

CQ and penny, you may post your abject apologies for your misunderstanding anytime you like.......

"hides behind something very large and dangerous..........like a feral cat..........."

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

Suspect bidding

@reganmatt11 wrote:

Yep, took over an hour to do, but I cancelled all the bids and blocked the buyer. 

I have never encountered this person before. Strange thing was, it was only on items that one ligitimate buyer was the top bidder.

Very strange business indeed.

there's the hint as to why.   it is a 'enemy' of your one top bidder, someone who is trying to make HIM pay more for everything he buys.

(well thats my theory)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

Suspect bidding

Sounds feasible Putney.

Contact the bidder and ask if they have had any previous problems with this person.

They may be prepared to assist you in having them banned from ebay altogether.

Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

Suspect bidding

@padi*0409 wrote:
CQ and penny, you may post your abject apologies for your misunderstanding anytime you like.......

"hides behind something very large and dangerous..........like a feral cat..........."

No worries, Padi (raises a glass of GD 12 in your general direction by way of apology).  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>running.gif

Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

Suspect bidding

saarzi
Community Member
Thats exactly what I was thinking. Someone is stalking the legitimate bidder.

Id block him and then contact him and ask what they think they are doing (really nicely). Tell them him youre asking because his bidding behaviour looks like a possible stalking cyber crime, and you know that couldnt possibly be the case, therefore youve asked Ebay to investigate for his benefit, to clear his ID.

Or you could keep out of it and just block him.

But I wouldnt be able to resist. Lol

Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

Suspect bidding

@cq_tech wrote:

No worries, Padi (raises a glass of GD 12 in your general direction by way of apology).  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>running.gif

Haha, bet I've got more GD 12 left than you have now...............>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>germanbeer.gif>>>>>>>>>>>>2591.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

Suspect bidding

That'd be a dangerous bet to be taking right now, Padi. I took a drive to DM's the other day and took full advantage of their pricing error (at $49.95 GD12 is actually 4c cheaper than GD8 at the moment) so I currently have 4 x 750ml bottles (less the 60ml with which I taunted you last night) and if they're still $14 below their normal retail on Friday, I've decided to grab myself another 4 bottles to keep me going through winter. Purely for medicinal purposes, of course. Smiley LOL
Message 20 of 27
Latest reply