Suspect fake bids

jvdv
Community Member

I have a used pair of Nike runners listed and this morning I noticed that there are 2 bidders who have driven the price over $200. Clearly either an error in the decimal points the person is bidding or it's just a fake.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Suspect fake bids

Both of the bidders have low feedback scores, but neither have any bid retractions in the last six months. Do you have blocks in place to stop people who have two or more non payment strikes from bidding on your items ?

My son is right into fashion footware and some used NIKE;s can be worth big dollars, particularly if produced in limited numbers. I have had items that I thought where worth a few dollars make several hundred on occasions and the buyers have been happy with their purchases.

Personally I would just let the auction run, see if they pay and then send the shoes with tracking and maybe take extra photos in case they start an item not as described case against you. If they dont pay within four days open a non payment dispute and close it as soon as possible to recieve your ebay fees back. Then put the bogus buyers on your blocked buyer list. .

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Suspect fake bids

Is it possible you have a very rare designed pair ?

Otherwise you might be right.

First bidder entered 200 instead of 20 then asked a friend to check by bidding.

Now trying to figure out how to correct it.

image host
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Suspect fake bids

One of them is a fake bidder and the other one is probably in shock right now because the bid amount is so high lol.

But on the other hand and I'm sorry to say this is that it makes you look like there is shill bidding going on.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Suspect fake bids

OP, if the buyer wins and pays I would be sending them signed for registered mail.

And hopefully you have receipts of original purchase in case buyer claims fake and isn't required to return them for a refund.

You will lose both item and money.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

image host
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Suspect fake bids

It's a bit of a worry that a stock photo was used for the gallery pic.

That's against policy for a 2nd hand item.

The actual runners look a bit grubby and worn.

Some buyers don't go past the first pic

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Suspect fake bids

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Is it possible you have a very rare designed pair ?

With 231 click on the listing the above may be the case,(they don't seem to be a "rare" pair),Who knows.gif

That's a lot of views but it could be others seeing why they have reached over $200

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Suspect fake bids

A bit of googling says you can buy a new pair for about $180 - $220

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Suspect fake bids

@imastawka wrote:

A bit of googling says you can buy a new pair for about $180 - $220

The crazy part with Nike shoes used to be that they go by year of manufacture and even though some pairs

seem to be the same they are "worth" a lot more or less depending on when they were made,(and possible

worth more if they were made for a specific sports person).

It may still be the case,Who knows.gif

Our son used to buy and sell Nike shoes and he would get up to four times the price for a pair of new second

hand shoes compared to what he paid for them when new,(he bought one pair for $180 and sold them for

$720 because they were a limited edition and no longer available).

We picked up a second hand pair of Nike shoes at an Op shop for $5 and he sold them for $120 and the

buyer was estatic as his top bid was $180,shok.gif

I reckon it's two bidders that don't have a clue,(or are having a bit of "fun" and will retract,maybe)tease.gif

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Suspect fake bids

Well, I hope the OP gets their money then.

(and I'll keep a sharp eye out at the oppies from now on)

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply