Suspicous buyer from US

tcrazer
Community Member

I've just had a buyer from the US which I think is suspicious.  They have bought several high priced collector cards from me which were exclusive to Australia, they have zero feedback and the paypal payment is from an unregistered account. 

I've sold for over 12 years and this is the first time my spider senses are tingling.  Some things just don't sit right with me.  I am reluctant to send it as I don't think this is a genuine buyer.  Is a mutual cancellation the best way to recoup ebay fees?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Suspicous buyer from US

I'm wondering, what happens if the "Buyer" doesn't agree to a mutual cancelation ? I would call ebay about it to see whare you stand. It does sound risky.

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

Suspicous buyer from US

Thanks for the reply. Yeh, I'm not sure what happens should they decline.

I should also mention I had my buyer criteria set to the strictest standards which has helped me well in the past.

The other thing which I thought was unusual is that they bought the items at 4am US time. On the paypal payment, the account is 'unregistered.'  I have encountered unverified but not 'unregistered' before.   The address exists but I could not find anything on the buyer, who has a unique name.

If a mutual cancellation is declined, what is the best option as I am not confident in sending these items which cost over $200

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

Suspicous buyer from US

Another thing is that they were three separate listings with three shipping costs and he did not request a combined shipping amount. it's these little things that make me question the validity of the transaction

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

Suspicous buyer from US

With regard to the combined postage, that one's not so unusual - I very often have buyers who win multiple items, and pay before I've sent a combined shipping invoice. 

Mind you, I've also had a couple then complain that I didn't combine shipping...

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

Suspicous buyer from US

@tchi6 wrote:

I've just had a buyer from the US which I think is suspicious.  They have bought several high priced collector cards from me which were exclusive to Australia, they have zero feedback and the paypal payment is from an unregistered account. 

I've sold for over 12 years and this is the first time my spider senses are tingling.  Some things just don't sit right with me.  I am reluctant to send it as I don't think this is a genuine buyer.  Is a mutual cancellation the best way to recoup ebay fees?

I do feel for you - I have great faith in my 'spider senses' as they usually turn out to be correct !

As has been suggested, with all the little things that don't sit quite right, I would ring eBay also.  It could well be as the Buyer has somehow slipped through your blocks etc, eBay would be favourable to a cancellation.

On the other hand, if their advice is to send, I have often posted to US.  My items are small, so I send in Large Letter size padded envelopes inside an A5 (?) craft envelope (bigger than my padded envelopes and allows documentation to be neatly attached).  I send Registered International, which costs around $25 and I think you can add insurance for  minimal price.  The biggest issue I would foresee with this method is technically, Tracking stops once the article leaves Australia, however, if you ring the Australia Post 1300 number, they can trace it.  To date I have really never had any problems - but, in your circumstances I would be checking if there is a service available that has Signature on Delivery as well as Registered - I'm sure there is, I just don't use it.

Out of curiosity - how much postage have they paid ?  And how was the postage calculated ?

I have my settings on Calculated : Cost varies by Buyer Location and only offer Registered International

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

Suspicous buyer from US

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If the buyer actually declines a Mutual Cancellation then you will not get your fees refunded.  If they ignore it the dispute will eventually close in your favour.

The fact that the buye ris unregistered just means that they do not have a paypal account and have used the Guest Checkout facility.

As long as you follow the paypal instructions to send/not send you will have paypal protection for the transaction.

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

Suspicous buyer from US

Thanks for the replies. Just got off the phone with eBay. They checked the account and said its legitimate. I told them my concerns and says mutual cancellation is the only option without taking a hit on dsr. I guess that's what I will do.

I forgot to ask the rep, if I just cancel the order without requesting a mutual cancellation do I get my fees back?
Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

Suspicous buyer from US

You cannot just cancel the transaction without asking for a Mutual Cancellation but be aware that you can still received negative feedback from the buyer.

The only way to avoid a neg it to open a non paying bidder dispute and issue the buyer with a strike.  In all other scenarios you can get a neg.

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

Suspicous buyer from US

@lyndal1838 wrote:

You cannot just cancel the transaction without asking for a Mutual Cancellation but be aware that you can still received negative feedback from the buyer.

The only way to avoid a neg it to open a non paying bidder dispute and issue the buyer with a strike.  In all other scenarios you can get a neg.

I think the buyer has already paid.

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply