Temporary Restriction

I sell knives.

Some of them have bone handles.

I received an email last night saying a 3 day restriction on selling had been placed on me for three days for contravention of eBay IVORY Policy:

"After reviewing your eBay account, it appears that you have violated eBay's Ivory policy. As a result, we've taken the following actions on your account: - Selling privileges have been temporarily restricted. You won't be able to list new items for 3 days. You're also not allowed to register a new account during this time. - Item listings have been removed. A list of removed items is available further down in this email. - Any fees for listings ended early because of this violation will not be credited to your account. Items made from, or containing any kind of ivory, are not allowed. Ivory products may not be offered on eBay because of various international trade restrictions and treaties banning the sale of these items. To learn more about our animals and wildlife products policy, go to: http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/wildlife.html ...
(blah, blah, blah until it comes to):

Here are the listings we removed.

221869953319 - Sharp Collectable 10” MOON CREST Curved Knife Awesome Blade NON IVORY MIB

321850170508 - 12.5" Santa FE HUNTER Bowie Knife White Bone Handle With Leather Sheath NIB"

Let me put it this way. The link says "You must explicitly state it's NOT IVORY..." - Look at the first item's title.

The second title was picked up again a couple of months ago, so I fixed the text in the listing to say "this is NOT an IVORY product".  All underlined and in uppercase, which is permissible.

I tried to get answers from eBay only to be told to wait 24-48 hours for an answer

In the meanwhile, I cannot upload any new listings.

eBay, what's wrong with you? Unbelievable idiocy!

DaddyKool

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Temporary Restriction

Thanks to the supporters at these discussion forums.

I have now had my restrictions removed (big whoop!) and have relisted the items.  I haven't used the word Ivory, but Cow Bone as advised by eBay.  I know what the bots do, so I have hopefully removed any trigger.  I wonder what would happen if I said they were made from Unicorn Horns (sarcasm intended).

I hate arguing Australian Law to eBay people sporting Yankee accents in the Philippines!

Thanks Everyone, I hope I can help you guys too one day.

DaddyKool (Ian)

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

Back to the original topic, Lyndal had it spot on. They were delisted because the bot would automatically pick up the word ivory and from there it would be automatic. Once you can relist the the word out of the title and for extra safety in the description use nonivory as one word then you should be OK.

View solution in original post

Message 24 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Temporary Restriction

hi very hard for you to give us the item numbers when they are deleted, also if it was up to me ,i would not have any of your products allowed to sell on my site, but its not my site. i cant see on the policy  that states if you put down not ivory, then its allowed, 

when and item is allowed it would state allowed or not allowed , under ivory its either not allowed or restricted , as you have said a while ago you had listed an item that you had to fix , means you are going to get looked at a bit more, just like customs.  not much you can do about it.

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

Temporary Restriction

Thanks but I can list it here as a legitimate complaint.  eBay removed items that are, according to eBay policy, legal to sell is just plain wrong.

secondly, I also sell kitchen knives, something all of us use every day.

Finally, I would not sell a knife with an ivory handle for a measly $49.95

D.K.

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

Temporary Restriction

well if i ever have a tough peice of meat  on my plate i might get in contact with you as some of your knifes will not only cut my meat ,but the table as well.mate only my opinion  and prob lots more ebayers, I cant see any use for most of your knifes ,but for a gang related purpose.  double bladed knife ,mmmmm  27'' knife or what ever size it was. whats that for, cutting strawberries

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

Temporary Restriction

They are used for hunting wild pigs and ducks

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

Temporary Restriction

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I believe you will find that the problem is in the use of the word "ivory" in the listing.   The bots just pick up that word and completely ignore the "not" in front of it.

You will not get much sense from ebay if you have emailed them.  I would give them a ring.  You can get the number through the Help and Contact link at the bottom of the page.

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

Temporary Restriction

i would of thought you would use guns and rifles,  poor little ducks 

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

Temporary Restriction

I wonder if paint can be used in gang related purpose.....

*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

Temporary Restriction

Not everyone can have a gun/rifle to kill a duck but apparently you can have dangerous knives

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

Temporary Restriction

it does at the local paintball places , you should see how colorful the loosers look    mmmm

i sapose i am not man enought to walk up to a duck and take a knife out of my pocket then flick it open a 25'' knife

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply