The hourglass sign for my funds to be available soon turned into the transparent dollar sign?

helen_li
Community Member

I'm new to ebay selling, and had the 21 days rule. I shipped out the item because the buyer showed proof of purchase and ebay said i could ship the item out. Next to each item it said my funds would be available on so and so date. There was an hourglass symbol under the items, saying my funds would be available soon. After a while the hour glass sign turned back into the transparent dollar sign, which i suppose it means it wasn't payed for? I'm confused, please help! 

Also for one occasion the buyer sent me the receipt that he had paid for the item, but there was still the transparent dollar sign? 

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

The hourglass sign for my funds to be available soon turned into the transparent dollar sign?

Depends on what the $ has through it either an arrow or a line means either the payment was refunded or partially paid?

What does it have?

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

If the buyer paid by PayPal and you had the hourglass, they probably paid via eCheque. They can take a week to clear (sometimes more. The $ turns blue when it's cleared. If it's gone back to a clear $ sign, then the eCheque didn't clear, which means they haven't paid for it. I would contact the buyer and let them know that they paid by eCheque (they often don't know) and that the payment rejected, probably because they didn't have enough money in their bank account and could they please repay.

It's also possible that when you marked the item as posted, the buyer cancelled the eCheque so they could get the item for free. Either way, I'd be letting them know that if they don't repay the money they owe, you'll have no choice but to report them to the online fraud squad for gaining goods by deception (don't tell them that straight away, only mention it if they refuse to pay or completely ignore you). If they don't pay, you can report them through ACORN, which is the online fraud squad.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Log into your PayPal account and view the full details of the transaction, that should tell you what the current payment status is, as eBay is not always 100% accurate on keeping these things up to date, or reflecting changes - PayPal and eBay are linked, but I've had eCheques both fail or get cancelled, and the hourglass remained as the status on eBay for as long as the transaction was accessible here. I'd also presume (but don't know for sure as my account is not currently subjected to payment holds), that a cleared payment status is different to a held payment, and if the payment clears the $ sign should be blue, even if the actual funds are being withheld.  

It would be advisable to always log into PayPal directly (i.e. not through links in emails) if you are unsure about whether a payment has been made and/or is cleared, if a payment doesn't appear there at all (either cleared or pending), you might need to check that the email address being used in the eBay listing is identical to the PayPal registered address (you can verify this by hovering your mouse over the dollar symbol, as the mouse-over text will tell you the date payment was made and the email address the payment was sent to (I know there's no hover feature if on a mobile, but I'm not sure of a quick and easy way to check via an app etc). 

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Yes, the $ is blue, even when funds are held. Well, it is with my new account that I haven't worried about getting funds released early (I'm making enough on the other 2 to cover it).

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

i think there is a new glitch. i have an item i sold 3 weeks ago, came up with the hourglass in the payment spot.

i checked my PP account and saw it was an echeque.

echeque was cancelled as there were i'm presuming insufficiant funds.

i dint find out it had been cancelled until after a week as i was waiting for the payment cleard message. never recieved anything to alert me to the non payment.

all this time i still have the payment being proccessed via PP hourglass symbol in ebay.

finally i contact my buyer to alert them that the payment hasnt worked and they should either contact PP or make payment.

my buyer contacts me saying his end shows payment made but he might have a PP issue give it longer.

i'm thinking i have a dodgy buyer even though his feedback was clean so i open a non payment case.

then i get an angry message from buyer claiming he made payment why was i opening a case.

i reply his payment has not gone through, please pay so i can post.

still i have the hourglass symbol.

finally on the friday of the second week i phone PP and its confirmed payment was cancelled same day it was made, i should contact my buyer and request he calls PP about it. which i did.

then my buyer finally sees the problem and requests a new invoice. which ebay wont do as acording to them payment is being proccessed. i end up having to to send an invoice via PP and my buyer pays.

i post the item, mark it as payment recieved and item posted. got feedback from buyer saying hes happy with the item he has recieved. ive left feedback for him.

and still i have the hourglass symbol!! even now 4 weeks since all this began!

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply