The latest scam Email.

go-tazz
Community Member

Just received a message "from" an eBay UK member asking about an item I don't have.

As you can see most of it might seem fine.

Subject: Your question from an eBay member - OFFER

I want to buy this item from you: &nbsp;<a
 href="http://prenocisca.com/admin/lang/ext/cs_CZ/redirect.htm" target="_blank">http://www.ebay.co.uk/ws/SignIn/ViewItm</a><br

It has this redirect in the link,(which will take you to their fake website and you would then log into

what you believe to be eBay Uk,but instead you would give them your log in info).

Can you please check the link and let me know if you still have it.<br>
Thank you, and i will wait for your answer so i can buy it.<br>
      <br>
P.S also can you please tell me if the shipping cost is included in the
price?i offer to you 1200 gbp <br>

Except it asks you to check a link,(never click on a link that you are unsure of).

I don't have anything worth 1200 GBP

The above was checked using the the right click View message source option,(so you don't actually open

the Email).

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

The latest scam Email.

Boy did they pick on the wrong guy. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

The latest scam Email.

Thanks for the heads up go-tazz.

Much appreciated.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

The latest scam Email.

thanks

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

The latest scam Email.

I got one a few months ago from "ebay seller". They were offering me this amazing bargains because I had been such a good buyer in the past. I just had to click the link to take me to the bargains. I did the same as you, checked the message source rather than open the email and the links were bouncing to Russia. It would be interesting to know how many people actually click on the links.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

The latest scam Email.

Enough people must click on the links to make it worth the scammer's time.  

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

The latest scam Email.

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I got one a few months ago from "ebay seller". They were offering me this amazing bargains because I had been such a good buyer in the past. I just had to click the link to take me to the bargains. I did the same as you, checked the message source rather than open the email and the links were bouncing to Russia. It would be interesting to know how many people actually click on the links.

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

Enough people must click on the links to make it worth the scammer's time.  

It was mentioned on a Whirlpool forum where 8 people complained that they had clicked on links on the same

Email,(out of 20 people that commented).

But that was a few years back so hopefully people are learning not to click links but hey would still catch

enough gullible members to make it wortwhile,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

They would have a fake PP page set up to try and get the password for that as well.

When the too good to be true scam listings are put up there are often over 50 plus "sales" on some of the

items and it would be members similar to those that might click on suspect Emails.

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Boy did they pick on the wrong guy. Smiley Wink

Thanks Kopes,lolCorny_cleaning-glasses.gif

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

The latest scam Email.

The scammers are actually in Slovenia

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

The latest scam Email.

@scrambler3333 wrote:

The scammers are actually in Slovenia

They've diversified and are in the two original ones Nigeria and Romania,(who has a town nick named

Hackersville) but there are now others in parts of old and new Russia,China and a host of other countries,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Scams are are all the same,designed to get easy money from gullible people,Angry head bang.gif

https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/top-online-scams/

They are now also targeting other vulnerable people in a bigger way:

https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/types-of-scams/dating-romance

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply