To measure or not to measure?

So, new changes coming up on eBay November 1st.

I will be continuing as I have too much stock to get rid of.

Having a think about strategies to prevent SNADs as much as possible.

So what is the current thinking about providing measurements for garments - and maybe other stock too? I know it has come up a bit in previous discussions, but I would like to get more ideas.....

At the moment I do give mm, which I think is part of good customer service.  Now more interested in survival.  

Logically, if mm aren't given, then if there is less for the buyer to dispute?  After all, mm can be a bit arbirary if there is stretch in the fabric, or you take a waist mm from a different place than the buyer, etc etc etc.  Not saying I'm inaccurate, it's just not an exact science.

I could state in the listings for buyer to request mm instead.  This would also save alot of time and I could do listings faster.  Then if the buyer wants mm, take a photo of the item with the tape measure when I do it  <<this would be too time-consuming for every garment, I would rather rip my nails out with pliers>>

Of course I would provide mm in listings for select reasons, like a really small/large size compared to label, european or designer sizing, etc.

OR do others think that NOT giving mm will initiate more SNADs if clothes don't fit?

Do people ever read the mm anyway?

Thoughts??!!

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

mm is short for measurements. Not millimetres 🙂

Message 21 of 45
Latest reply

@egglesdtp wrote:

The only further suggestion I would make is to put the measurements in centimetres, not millimetres. (Why would you choose to use mm? - these are never used on actual labels when they are provided)

If you can find a single one of my listings that has the measurements in mm, I'll rap my own knuckles.

Message 22 of 45
Latest reply

@ms_aussie wrote:

mm is short for measurements. Not millimetres

Since when?

Message 23 of 45
Latest reply

I suppose I am an odd one out here. I do NOT list measurements

And my sales increased because of it, or at least they appeared to to me.

The people on this board are discerning people, Many of them require measurments and that's fine. But most of your average buyers don't. I think a lot of sellers assume that other people buy the same way they do, so they put up measurments because they personally would like measurments. but as we can all see, with the numerous buyers who don't even read descriptions, that just isn't the case. 

On top of that, many buyers don't seem to understand the difference between a natural waist measurment and a waistband measurment, or realize that the bust measurment in a loose top can, and should be, considerably larger than your actual bust. Some buyers don't get that stretch fabrics, you know, stretch, and instead only see the number. I think that, in my case at least, measurments were putting people off because the numbers didn't line up due to a lack of understanding on how clothing works.

I know that I lose some sales to buyers who know their measurments and understand them. But the time I save in not measuring, and thus the extra listings I am able to put up, cancel out those losses. I see people buying and selling clothes on places like facebook all the time, I am part of a few buy/sell clothing groups. And I have never seen anyone ask for measurments before purchasing, which actually suprised me because I expected to see one or two requests for measurments, but I can't remember a single one.

And I've never had a complaint about an item not fitting. One lady said it didn't fit but left positive feedback, and the one item I did get a complaint on was false (she claimed the items had shrunk, but there's no way this particular brand/fabric shrunk. If anything it would have stretched)

Note, I WOULD include measurments for new items, or high price brand name items. I am only talking here about the sorts of things I sell, $10 tops and the like. But I personally don't plan on adding measurments any time soon and my sales are doing pretty well.

Message 24 of 45
Latest reply

When I started selling clothing on eBay I did not list with measurements - I got so many questions asking for measurements I then began including them.

I occasionally get questions asking for measurements that are already in the listing Cat Indifferent

Having amassed quite a few years in experience in measuring garments, I can now quickly identify if a garments measurement is consistent with its size tag, and note this in the listing - as there is are significant differences in sizing between, and even within, brands.

Message 25 of 45
Latest reply

What you don't know is how many prospective buyers look at your listings and back out because there are no measurements.

Depends what the clothing item is. A loose type top might be fine going by thr Size on label, but a fitted shirt or jeans... If too small or too big useless to buyer.
Message 26 of 45
Latest reply

@bigbrickshop wrote:

Please don't put "measurements taken when laying flat" because I always picture the poor selling laying down flat trying to take the pic  😄

Cat SurprisedCat Very HappyCat LOL

Message 27 of 45
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

When I started selling clothing on eBay I did not list with measurements - I got so many questions asking for measurements I then began including them.

I occasionally get questions asking for measurements that are already in the listing Cat Indifferent

Having amassed quite a few years in experience in measuring garments, I can now quickly identify if a garments measurement is consistent with its size tag, and note this in the listing - as there is are significant differences in sizing between, and even within, brands.

I sell mainly shoes, and the same goes. Differing brands offer quite a variety of measurments for the same size. I always offer measurements as approximate but as accurately as I can.

I now know the measurements of just about every brand of shoe in each size hahaha however I still run the tape measure over each pair.

I will continue to offer measurements on anything I sell that is dependant on a "fit".

Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 45
Latest reply

I am very specific about my measurements. I say that they are taken with the garment (not me) laid flat and doubled where appropriate. For smething that has stretch I give the at rest measurement and then say it will comfortable stretch to ??. 

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 29 of 45
Latest reply

As mainly a buyer on here,  there is nothing worse than coming across several items of clothing from a seller with no measurments.

Also if an item is preloved it could of been stretched by a previous owner even if its a brand you are used to.

Buyers DEFINATELY look at measurments. If i had identical items (both good feedbacks) from different sellers i would hands down go ot the one that had bothered to put measurments in thier listing even if it was a dollar or two more.

JMO

Message 30 of 45
Latest reply