To quote Allanis Morrisett, "Isn't it ironic..."

That eBay runs ads for Western Union, when they so often warn buyers that they are not a trusted payment method?

Cheers,

Penny
Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

WU is only unsafe if you use direct money transfers and is well suited to and used by millions of people to exchange money with people they know. They also offer other services so while they are not a good idea for ebay transactions there is no reason they should not be able to pay for an advertisement o ebay like any other company.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

WU is only unsafe if you use direct money transfers and is well suited to and used by millions of people to exchange money with people they know. They also offer other services so while they are not a good idea for ebay transactions there is no reason they should not be able to pay for an advertisement o ebay like any other company.

I think it sends mixed messages - given the promotion by Western Union is not consistent with eBay policy - Western Union ads promote safe and quick global payments - not limited by circumstances such as you point out. 

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

I certainly appreciate the irony, as I often do with some things at work............ "We don't recommend the use of this product with the items we manufacture but, of course you can still buy it from us!"

In our Corporate world, we never let irony or mixed messages get in the way of turning a buck  Smiley Very Happy 

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Reminds me of how big Aussie companies like Big W, Sportsbet and Harvey Norman were showing up in adverts on The Pirate Bay sites last year and they took action to get that stopped after someone pointed it out.  eBay may not have such precise control over what ads were showing or the companies didn't know 100% of the time where their ads were showing, it is probably just an advert network feeding lots of ads through to many places.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply