To refund or not to refund.....that's is my question

Hi all. I had a customer purchase 35 golf umbrella's ($12 each) from me approx a week ago. The size of the umbrella's is clearly in the listing. They are now asking , through messages, if they can return them for a refund, as they are too big. They are happy to send them back to me, but just wanted to know, if you would accept the return and give back $420  or would you decline and possibly receive a neg.

i do have a 14 day return policy for faulty items, but not for incorrect ordering.

thanks

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

accept the refund because if you don't they will open a paypal dispute and paypal wil rule in their favour and they will get to keep the umbrellas and get their money back and you wil have lost $420 as well as your stock and get a neg regardless

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

If the only issue was the size I would ask the buyer to return the umbrellas in original condition and at their expense and once received in that condition I would refund purchase price only (less fees because I don't think eBay will refund your fees on a return), but not postage either way.  You can resell them and won't be out of pocket, and just may avoid a neg and the associated defect.  These days it is just not worth standing your ground if the buyer is willing to return at their expense.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

me I would decline it. I would tell them the measurements were clearly stated in the listing. If they were to open a dispute you have the message saying they wanted to return them because the umbrellas were too big. Ebay would most like remove the neg if you were to receive one.

All this refunding just to avoid a neg is really making buyers think they can just return items for the heck of it without any responsiblity for reading a listings before purchasing.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

I found myself agreeing with both Harley and pennyforum.Smiley Very Happy

I know they give opposite advice. I am obviously in two minds.Smiley Wink

The umbrellas are too big-for what??

What colour were they?

I suppose I have suspicious & unworthy thoughts going through my head, such as-is it possible they would have been suitable for an outdoor/ beach wedding or similar?

Just wondered if someone had used them then decided to try for a return.

Golf umbrellas normally are big, so I am surprised they have an issue.

The other thing I wonder is were the umbrellas wrapped up, would it have been hard for anyone to rewrap them as original?

The good thing is you have their original message on file, to show any ebay rep.

I would be worried about saying you accept a refund as if the person returns them to you (even at their expense) where does it leave you if you suspect they may have been used, even if only once?

Probably leaning more to Harley's view now.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

They were bright yellow umbrella's and from memory they were being used for a musical. I always accept returns, but this one, they asked a couple of questions prior to purchase, i discounted the freight by quite abit. They are all individually wrapped.

this one has stumped me though. Really unsure of what to do.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

sounds like they used them for what they wanted now want there money back.
Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

I suspect they may have found that the umbrellas were too large to fit on the stage when opened....but they would have had to open them to see that, so not as sent.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

My thoughts aswell, so that means if they have used them, then the little plastic sleeve thing they are wrapped in could be damaged etc....To be honest, I don't care about a neg or dsr's . But I won't know if they have used them or the plastic thing is damaged until I get them back, then it's too late.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Try googling musical for the area they were purchased from,(might need to try a few different ways,eg: amateur

musical or yellow umbrellas,etc).

That way you may find that they were used or not?

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply