Turnbull has just given Australia post permission to jack up letter rate.

Hi Folks for all those , like me who use letter rate parcels, AP will put Slowwwwwwwwwwww rate up to $1 which I have to use 2 stamps. ( they say about 2 days longer than normal)

and god know what for normal rate. Don't know when this will start.

I think sales will get worse.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Excellent!

Won't it be fun when our "Postage Time" DSRs go to hell because people's mail starts taking 2 or 3 days longer?

Message 11 of 28
Latest reply

You mean we have

1. Really Really slow

2. Really slow

3. Slow

4. May be a bit faster  ... you can pay for it, but we can't guarantee it.

Message 12 of 28
Latest reply

NOW is the time to start hounding the pollies, not when its over, done and dusted!!!!

If you do decide it is a good idea to contact your local polly with your concerns, it may be worth while asking them to look into the Universal Postal Union agreement which was set up (I believe) in the early 1900s - when mail from country to country was probably more balanced.

Today there is no balance at all and business that need postal services in Australia suffer greatly as a consequence. In a nutshell the union agrees that once mail arrives in the intended country it will be delivered with no or low costs to the country of origin.

That is why China Post and some others can post items to Australia so cheaply - 1 the Chinese Government subsidises the cost of post in China - 2 Once the mail gets to Australia it is up to Australia Post to deliver it for almost free (if not free).

So we sellers subsidise the products that are coming in from China, India, and many other countryies around the world, every time we put stamps on an envelope or purchase a packing label.

Get on to your Federal politicians now, if we don't do it now it will be too late!!!!

Your can google their details email addresses and postal addresses!

For those folks in NSW - wouldn't hurt to contact the State Pollies either since there is an election coming up here very soon.

This is something that we can all do to make business fairer for Australians in Australia.

Message 13 of 28
Latest reply

I can understand they need to make up for far less letters sent but im wondering will it be only letters or parcels as well that will only be delivered 3 days a week?

and if people choose to pay extra the postman will still have to come down the street anyway so im not sure where Aus Post will save money .I would prefer to see the standard 5 day deliveries  and we all pay say a $30 fee per year for that or something which was one sugestion.

I do think letters are very cheap to post at the moment so $1 is resonable

Message 14 of 28
Latest reply

When stamps go up in price - all prepaid envelopes go up too....so, stock up now
Message 15 of 28
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

To be clearer, it won't happen until September if at all, and by then, with the defects system, most of us won't be here Smiley Sad

The price of a standard postage stamp could rise from 70 cents to $1 and mail will take longer to arrive, under a plan announced by the Government today.

Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull said Australia Post would introduce a two-speed mail service, with a regular service operating two days slower than the current delivery speed, and a premium-rate priority service.

At a meeting of Coalition MPs this morning, Mr Turnbull explained the plan, saying there needed to be greater transparency from Australia Post - what he called an "open kimono" approach.

Mr Turnbull said the two-tier system would not be introduced until September at the earliest.

Australia Post is also set to lodge an application with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) to increase the price of a stamp from 70 cents to $1.

The ACCC could knock back the application.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-03/70c-stamps-could-cost-1-under-plan-for-australia-post/6276704

Just for some further info, the two tier system will mean $1 is for a slower service than we get right now, and a priority service stamp is looking to cost $1.50 (or more). Which effectively means (as far as I know) to get the same delivery time on a 125g (or less) large letter as we get now, price will go from $1.40 to $3.00 (or more - unless large letters won't be the same 2 x , 3x, 5x stamp price that is in place now).

Abbott government approves sweeping Australia Post changes, price rises

Message 16 of 28
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member
$1?! When comparing economies, that will put us in about the top 5 most expensive places in the world to post a letter... The others being Scandinavian countries... the difference being they have an over 80% next day delivery rate... it takes us up to a week!
Message 17 of 28
Latest reply

x3n0m
Community Member

The CEO of Ausposts wages have increased by approximately $1 Million Dollars in the last year and Ausposts profits went from $200 Million to $100 Million .. he now gets 4.9 Million per year and as Auspost profits plunge he manages to get massive pay increases .. 3 years back he was on $2 Million per year .. it really defies logic .. unless he is a hypnotist??!! ..

.. the supposed reason for the proposed near 50% increase in the cost of a stamp is apparently due to the fact people are posting less letters .. here is the thing folks and yes I did quite well in high school economics; if the price of a product increases then demand for thhat product diminishes .. it is called supply and demand .. so in summary the proposal the government has accepted and put to the wildly incompetent and traitorous ACCC for the final word on this is; to increase the cost of posting a letter by close to 50% and the Auspost promise is that it will take days longer to deliver that letter than it does now .. so we get charged more for less .. I repeat they are diluting the product whilst banging up costs .. where have I seen that before? .. hmmmm

Message 18 of 28
Latest reply

ha and I'm left wondering why my postee delivers my registered post like any other letter into my letterbox, never brings it to the door even if I'm at home, no asking for signature....! 

Message 19 of 28
Latest reply

Australia Post And The Abbot Goverment  Suck.....Postage only went up a few months ago to 70 cent this is very unfait to the Australian People. Pensioners cant afford to pay the Household bills as it is.. Time we did something... Lets have a rally, protest and get Australia behind us.. I for one will be contacting my local MP. Everyone PLEASE Do the same.

Crowsman

Message 20 of 28
Latest reply