UPC MPN Numbers

Anyone else going to be absolutely destroyed by this required change? Of the branded items I sell I am having absolutely no luck finding the MPN numbers?

Not sure what I am going to do.

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

UPC MPN Numbers

If it doesn't have an MPN or you can't find it, make up your own. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hand-made items, antiques, jewellery, a vintage dress and a signed footy would most likely not have a part number associated with it, or a barcode for that matter, so I can't see how eBay could force either to be in a listing.
Message 2 of 39
Latest reply

UPC MPN Numbers

Can you just use the barcode if they have one
Message 3 of 39
Latest reply

UPC MPN Numbers

saarzi
Community Member

I know its recommended.. but where does it say this is going to become required on ebay Australia?

I can see the negs rolling in - "Fake MPN number".

Message 4 of 39
Latest reply

UPC MPN Numbers

@heihachi_73 wrote:
If it doesn't have an MPN or you can't find it, make up your own. ๐Ÿ™‚

That could create a loophole for a not as described claim.

Though I am sure I would do the same.

Wonder if it also applies to new seconds as the often have the labels removed anyway.

i am sure there will be a lot of" what the?" posts on here come next month re this issue.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 6 of 39
Latest reply

UPC MPN Numbers

Not replying to Lane, just replying via the last message.

One of my categories has that as an option in the item specifics. My rocks and stones don't come with a barcode or a number of any description. Unfortunately, Mother Nature hasn't got the grasp of modern technology yet, so she doesn't spit out bar codes from mother earth. Therefore, I leave that one blank because there's nothing I can do about it.

Message 7 of 39
Latest reply

UPC MPN Numbers

all new listings of branded items

If your item is used, or secondhand, or from nature!, it will not be compulsory.

Message 8 of 39
Latest reply

UPC MPN Numbers

The first part (6x characters) of the 12-digit UPC barcode is the Manufacturers Code. To have one of these you need to be registered with the controlling body of these barcodes in the USA (GS1 I think it is).

I would think if you use a fake code it will be easily detectable by ebay in that they will just look up that part of the code that is supposed to be your Manufacturer Code. If that fails then your code is fake and that could in turn earn you a policy violation.

Message 9 of 39
Latest reply

UPC MPN Numbers

If you actually read the annocement you will see it does not apply to all categories (not Rocks)

From 30 June 2015, sellers who list branded items in new or manufacturer refurbished condition in the following categories will be required to include their itemโ€™s brand, manufacturer part number (MPN), and global trade item number (GTIN) to complete their new listings:

Baby
Books
Business & Industrial (Test, Lab, and Office Equipment)
Cameras & Photo
Cell Phones & Accessories
Clothing, Shoes & Accessories (Shoes only)
Computers/Tablets & Networking
Consumer Electronics
DVDs & Movies
eBay Motors
Health & Beauty
Home & Garden (Tools and Appliances only)
Music
Musical Instruments & Gear
Pet Supplies
Sporting Goods
Toys & Hobbies
Video Games & Consoles

As for making up barcodes the last digit is a parity check number like Credit Cards etc so its quite simple to check if they are real or not.

Also UPC 12 -digit is the US barcode we use the 13-digit EAN system.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 10 of 39
Latest reply