UPC MPN Numbers

Anyone else going to be absolutely destroyed by this required change? Of the branded items I sell I am having absolutely no luck finding the MPN numbers?

Not sure what I am going to do.

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

UPC MPN Numbers

saarzi
Community Member
Ok.. just pointing out for others reading the thread, the MPN is required for " New and Manufacturer refurbished" items only.
Not second hand / used etc etc.
Message 11 of 39
Latest reply

UPC MPN Numbers

Well I will be up the creek no numbers as I make manufacture all my things!! Ebay is getting really weird and greedy
Message 12 of 39
Latest reply

UPC MPN Numbers

"Well I will be up the creek"  No you won't Dresses is not one of the categories requiring numbers (See above)

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 13 of 39
Latest reply

UPC MPN Numbers

starting 30 June this year, all new listings of branded items in New and Manufacturer refurbished condition will be required to include product identifiers

before anyone else makes a silly mistake like me - duh - if listing say a second hand book, and you don't fill in the isbn (because you are not required to) any  new listings are starting to bounce if you don't use the little drop down option at the ISBN field which says DOES NOT APPLY.

Message 14 of 39
Latest reply

UPC MPN Numbers

Just listing a batch of comics this morning and put barcode from one comic only into required field and left ISBN blank and got two errors at top when checking listing. Cannot find a ISBN on any comic so actually typed 'does not apply' into the field where the numbers would go. There is no drop down list for me on the ISBN. The letters are light grey as I typed. Then selected 'Does not apply' from drop down list for MPN number and next stage of listing was clear without any errors or reminders about fields required etc.

Of course listing is not live yet (scheduled for tonight) so cannot tell if successful until that happens but hoping that this has fulfilled all requirements for new MPN numbers, especially when it comes to a batch of comics, books etc where there is more than one isbn or mpn.

Message 15 of 39
Latest reply

UPC MPN Numbers

@curraone wrote:

if you don't use the little drop down option at the ISBN field which says DOES NOT APPLY.

Thanks for pointing this out.
I wonder if anyone actually searches by ISBN?

Message 16 of 39
Latest reply

UPC MPN Numbers

@clarry100 wrote:

The first part (6x characters) of the 12-digit UPC barcode is the Manufacturers Code. To have one of these you need to be registered with the controlling body of these barcodes in the USA (GS1 I think it is).

I would think if you use a fake code it will be easily detectable by ebay in that they will just look up that part of the code that is supposed to be your Manufacturer Code. If that fails then your code is fake and that could in turn earn you a policy violation.

I am sur eone aspect of this is to help weed out counterfeits

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 17 of 39
Latest reply

UPC MPN Numbers

eg. In the area of fishing lines there are lots of fake products coming out of china, They all have the same barcode regardless size, length, colour, strength etc. having the actual code on the listing will make this obvious and undisputable. So there are items with fake barcodes out there

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 18 of 39
Latest reply

UPC MPN Numbers

@stor.miche wrote:

Anyone else going to be absolutely destroyed by this required change? Of the branded items I sell I am having absolutely no luck finding the MPN numbers?

Not sure what I am going to do.

I sell new and second hand skiwear and today I ended about 100 listing and then listed them using "Sell Similar". I now have 4 warnings about the MPN etc numbers - 3 of the items are second hand and 1 new. What confuses me is that in these relists, there were many more BNWT items but none of them are asking for numbers. I am also wondering about some of the ski suits I'm selling which didn't start out as suits but as 2 separate items that I have matched up - sometimes with 2 different manufacturers.

At this stage I'm just ognoring it all and waiting to see what (if anything) happens.

Cheers,

Marina.

Message 19 of 39
Latest reply

UPC MPN Numbers

My expectations, based on previous performance of announcement and implementation of other eBay system changes,  us that eBay will totally fluff up implementation of the new product identifier requirements.

I believe that there will be some sellers will cop full wrath of eBay via policy violations and difficulty listing items & will require a heightened level of eBay protection from eBay.

My expectation is that the eBay customer service will fail (predict 90%+) in providing any useful and appropriate advice or remedies to those that have punished inadvertently through system failures

Just saying 

Advice - readers of this post google requirements - fairly basic and useful info re why this information is being sought. 

TBH personally stunned eBay has not published on its site more information as to why the new requirements have been implemented and their importance in the dynamics of the online market, competition and searches.

Message 20 of 39
Latest reply