US import tax

Has anyone shipped to US buyers before?  I recently sold 2 pieces of jewellery to 2 US buyers.  However I have only just realised there could be import tax/fees.  One was posted last week by registered airmail and the other posted yesterday by speedpost.  If they worth between AUD$200-400 would they attract import or tax charges?  I alway tick "GIFT" on the custom declaration forms would that be a problem?  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

US import tax

Notes on duty & taxes rates and compliance

• Jewelry With Semi Precious Stones is duty free . Duty rate for Jewelry with semi precious stones may be reduced as USA-Australia free trade agreement applies. A certificate of origin is required for preferential rate to apply. Some probability that restrictions apply for shipping this product with courier or postal companies. Shipping prohibitions/restrictions and value limit may apply to these articles. Please, contact your courier for more information.
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

US import tax

@268eddie wrote:

Has anyone shipped to US buyers before?  I recently sold 2 pieces of jewellery to 2 US buyers.  However I have only just realised there could be import tax/fees.  One was posted last week by registered airmail and the other posted yesterday by speedpost.  If they worth between AUD$200-400 would they attract import or tax charges?  I alway tick "GIFT" on the custom declaration forms would that be a problem?  Thanks in advance.

absolutely yes, a problem if it is checked and Australian Customs find that you have lied on a signed form.  It is against Federal Law to make a false or misleading declaration on a Customs form.   Did you read the fine print on the form itself, it expressly states that penalties can apply to any false declarations

why would you even want to lie on an official Govt. document??

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

US import tax

I didn't post from Australia as I happened to be travelling. On the form there's "gift, merchandise, sample, others" I didn't know what best describes as they are things I don't want anymore. I don't know if they are "merchandise" because I'm not a shop.
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

US import tax

@268eddie wrote:
I didn't post from Australia as I happened to be travelling. On the form there's "gift, merchandise, sample, others" I didn't know what best describes as they are things I don't want anymore. I don't know if they are "merchandise" because I'm not a shop.

By definition - you are SELLING them - they are merchandise.

You were not givin them away, so they could not be a gift.

Pretty simple.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

US import tax

There is a difference between selling an item to a buyer (money changes hands, commercial transaction) and buying a family member or friend a gift and posting it to them, (no money changes hands).

Encouraging Illegal Activity

Not Allowed:

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

US import tax

Thanks. The items I posted previously were not valuable and do not require any custome tax. But will tick merchandise when posting from now on.
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply