Underpaid Article notice--$2.40 postage?

Underpaid Item detail

My interpretation is that I have posted 2 large letters with postage of $2 each which should have been $2.40.

I post about 50 of the same item each month, same weight (~60g incl packaging), large letter size due to thickness, in a C5 envelope with $2 in stamps and a priority sticker.

I did have an order from the addressee they listed, although it was in September, not August. Nothing special about the order.

Why the $2.40 postage charge?

Has anyone else had the same experience?

(Yes, I will phone AP once I've regained my voice.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It doesn't make any sense - two x $1 stamps are required for the 50g - 125g bracket. I don't know what the 40c is about.

Definitely call them and point this out.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

It doesn't make any sense - two x $1 stamps are required for the 50g - 125g bracket. I don't know what the 40c is about.

Definitely call them and point this out.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

That's saying that a postage meter was used for two <125g letters, face price of $2 but from memory there's a 5% discount for bulk letters with the meters, so that would make postage paid $1.90 for a $2 letter, but they are also saying the letters were sent priority, which is an additional 50c per letter, making postage $2.40, so they charged $1.90 per letter, plus an extra 50c for priority, $2 was paid, leaving the 2 x 40c deficit. 

I don't know how priority works with the meters, but they do print a different mark AFAIK, so you may be able to prove the charges are in error if you didn't send with priority.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Interesting.

I don't send bulk, not enough volume.

I affix stamps and priority stickers myself.

In that case, I would challenge it, then ignore it.

I'm glad to see they've started including the addresse details now (or at least something resembling them, since there's only one supplied and they've called it a 'sample'), before they'd just send those letters that were pretty much "oy, give us money, cos of something you posted some time earlier". Smiley Surprised Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Could be that the stamps fell off in-transit. I had a very unhappy customer once who was charged the fee to pick up their large letter from the post office. It turns out that the stamps fell off the bubble mailer at some stage during it's journey. I tape down all stamps now as a precaution.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Stamps never stay on  bubble mailers.

Sicky tape either the top or the bottom of the stamp, not the whole stamp

(for cancellation)

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I spoke to Australia Post.

They had no idea why I'd been sent the bill either.

And they cancelled it.