Unfair Ebay Search results for Australian Sellers "Default search results" one for the Aus sellers

screamingdemon_2007
Community Member

Why does the default landing page always show global results as default? 

In short,  if I am on "ebay.com.au" searching for something,  why do the search results show sellers from all around the world as "Default"??   This is very unfair on Australian based sellers. 

I think the correct system should show Australian based items/sellers as a default... if I want to look for international, then I can click that option.

The problem with this current set up is,  buyers usually dont see our items amongst the huge flood of international sellers...  

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Unfair Ebay Search results for Australian Sellers "Default search results" one for the Aus sellers

My default gives sellers who have listed on eBay Australia, then overseas sellers who sell to Australia (presumably) as a discrete, separate, listed after the above, category.

There is an option to restrict listings by distance, so try selecting 2000km, which should pretty much exclude OS sellers. or 3000km, depending on where in Australia you are.

Plenty of options to refine.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

My sentiments exactly.
I took this exact matter up with my local federal mp. It has gotten his attention and he is taking it up with eBay on my behalf to have the default search changed to AU only.
So why don't you do the same. The more independent queries they get the better.
Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

@screamingdemon_2007 wrote:

Why does the default landing page always show global results as default? 

In short,  if I am on "ebay.com.au" searching for something,  why do the search results show sellers from all around the world as "Default"??   This is very unfair on Australian based sellers. 

I think the correct system should show Australian based items/sellers as a default... if I want to look for international, then I can click that option.

The problem with this current set up is,  buyers usually dont see our items amongst the huge flood of international sellers...  

I think default is set to sellers who sell through ebay.com.au (may be wrong) the problem is Chinese sellers seems to know how to manipulate the system and get listed first this is not surprising if you look at ebay.cn it does not appear to sell any thing just advise sellers how to sell on other sites. I think sellers from the country should be listed first then foreign sellers with items in the country and sellers with items outside of the country should not rate at all in the best match. 

But this is eBays platform and what is good for seller is not their proirity (wellnot aus sellers anyway) allyou can do is try for a bit of luck to get a good listing

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

You can do that Dave.
The Max distance you can choose is 2000 km.
So I select the postcode for Innamincka, which is neat the geographical centre of AU, then 2000 km and it does pretty much eliminate anything located outside AU.
Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:
You can do that Dave.
So I select the postcode for Innamincka, which is neat the geographical centre of AU, then 2000 km and it does pretty much eliminate anything located outside AU.

I did that myself some time ago but the system resets itself so I just got sick of fiddling about.

It also does nothing to weed out sellers that are just lying outright about their location.

The number of Chinese sellers operating out of "Darwin" is simply astounding ... maybe Darwin is a suburb of Shanghai?

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

@dazzledayz wrote:

@clarry100 wrote:
You can do that Dave.

I did that myself some time ago but the system resets itself so I just got sick of fiddling about.

It also does nothing to weed out sellers that are just lying outright about their location.

The number of Chinese sellers operating out of "Darwin" is simply astounding ... maybe Darwin is a suburb of Shanghai?

The items are in Darwin I think they use some kind of holding/forwarding service.There is another lot that do it from Sydney to

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

I bought a $2 item (key fob batteries) from one of these Darwin located sellers some time back.

It took weeks to arrive and when it did it had Chinese postmarks all over it.

Clearly not posted from within AU.

I questioned the seller about it and got no response.

So just marked them down on FB and postage.

Also the batteries were out of shelf life when I received them and did not last long in my car key. I guess you get what you pay for but the location misrepresentation annoyed me.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:

I bought a $2 item (key fob batteries) from one of these Darwin located sellers some time back.

It took weeks to arrive and when it did it had Chinese postmarks all over it.

Clearly not posted from within AU.

I questioned the seller about it and got no response.

So just marked them down on FB and postage.

Also the batteries were out of shelf life when I received them and did not last long in my car key. I guess you get what you pay for but the location misrepresentation annoyed me.

When I first started back purchased a lot low priced from these sellers and all came from with in Australia and arrived under 1 week .One did stand out it only had Chinese stamps (frank marks) and nothing to indicate they had paid Australian post but the rest did.

I am sure there are Chinese sellers saying they are here and Aussie sellers dropshipping from China and not saying but the ones I tried where sending from Australia. I was hoping they was sending from China so I could try to get their listings removed but sadly they are just working with n the system, I do think Australian sellers should come first in the listing as a LOT of buyer 100% prefer to buy from Aussies and do not realise they are not but sadly it is Ebays platform so it is their call 

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

I received one of "Questionnaires" the other day asking me about my preferences on this very subject.... It presented me with 3 different scenarios for Listings showing in my searches.... A: As it is now with the option to select Aust. Only B: The one that is beginning to show in certain Categories where it clearly gives you an option at the top of the page to click on a Link to show only Aust. Sellers... and C: All of the Aust. Seller's Listings atomically showing first & then O/S further down.... Naturally I selected Option 3 as my preferred choice..... Will be interesting if anything comes of it....
Message 10 of 20
Latest reply