Unreasonable buyer - how to avoid negative feedback.

Hi all,

Nearly a month ago i sold some DVDs.  Because I am not a full time seller I put handling time as 3-5 days after payment.  This allows me to go to the post office when convenient and when I have several items to send. One item sold on the 30 July. I eventually recieved payment from the buyer on the 17th August (a Friday).  I was actually going to launch a NPB dispute but am preparing for a caravan trip so running around and not really keeping on top of who hasn't paid.  Anyway, check my email this morning Monday (before start of business) and there was an item not recieved dispute opened by the buyer. In the message she said that the item was not showing as sent and to contact her ASAP.  Man, my blood was boiling when I read that.  I must also point out that despite taking 18 days to pay for the item this was the first bit of communicatiuon from her and she is unhappy that I have not posted the item the same day she made payment. In my response I questioned which planet she was living on and that if she was going to take 18 days to pay for an item she can hardly expect an immediate response from the other party. I told her the item would be posted on Tuesday within the 3-5 day handling time as described in the listing. I have a feeling that I will cop negative feedback for this even though I've done nothing wrong.  Advice appreciated.

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Hellooooooo gorgeous! (phorum j - just in case there was a confusion  who is being addressed here.

Had a great time, thank you - better than expected.

Hope you are well and enjoying life.

****I must apologise to the OP for a little intrusion on your topic, very poor form - so sorry.

Cheers, January.

Message 11 of 35
Latest reply

I don't think you need worry January, I don't think the OP got the response they wanted and probably won't be back lol.

Glad you enjoyed our little island, the weather was kind to you too, doubt if you even needed to unpack the thermals 😉

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 12 of 35
Latest reply

guys need help !!!! have sold this thing on ebay for 4$.

the buyer now recons its not the right one and has already left a bad feedback without consulting or mess me. i would have returned his 4$ in a flash but he has already screwed me on feedback this guy is new and thus not know what FEEDBACK means to US.

what can i do now???? PLZ HELP

Message 13 of 35
Latest reply

guys need help !!!! have sold this thing on ebay for 4$.

the buyer now recons its not the right one and has already left a bad feedback without consulting or mess me. i would have returned his 4$ in a flash but he has already screwed me on feedback this guy is new and thus not know what FEEDBACK means to US.

what can i do now???? PLZ HELP

Send your buyer a calm, polite message and ask them if by 'wrong item' they mean that they were sent the wrong item, or if they received what was advertised and it didn't suit their needs. Depending on the answer to that, I would suggest different tacts. If you sent the incorrect item, I would explain that "no returns" doesn't apply when there is an error in the order or faulty items, and that they are entitled to a refund or exchange.

If they received the item that was advertised, then you may be able to have eBay remove the neg, though you would need the buyer to confirm that they received exactly what they purchased, and you may have to try more than one way for removal.

Message 14 of 35
Latest reply

If you sent the incorrect item, I would explain that "no returns" doesn't apply when there is an error in the order or faulty items, and that they are entitled to a refund or exchange.

I forgot to add that if the wrong item was sent and it gets sorted out quickly etc, you can ask your buyer if they will agree to revise the negative.

Although for $4, there would probably be a number of sellers who would just refund in full regardless and request the revision.

Message 15 of 35
Latest reply

Phorum Junkie - I wake up early and go to bed early so your assumption that I didn't get the response I was after and probably won't come back was not right and very judgemental. Anyway - a post at 2.32AM? My god, when do you get sleep time?

In view of the replies yes I probably was a bit over the top with my reply to the buyer and I do regret it (just a little bit). I worked for many years in the service industry and I do have to say that the customer is not always right.

In the postage section it clearly states "Will usually post within 5 business days of receiving cleared payment" . How can it be clearer?

Although I draw the line at reducing the cost (I am probably making a $1 on the sale as it stands) I am considering sending it registered even though I will then be running at a $3.00 loss for the sale. I did think of it earlier and if I someone else has the same thought then it is probably a good idea.

Interestingly the lady has not responded to my response through paypal even though she wanted me to respond ASAP.

Message 16 of 35
Latest reply

Phorum Junkie - I wake up early and go to bed early so your assumption that I didn't get the response I was after and probably won't come back was not right and very judgemental. Anyway - a post at 2.32AM? My god, when do you get sleep time?

pj sleeps during the night, and uses her computer in the UK during the day

(of course they are different times to those here in aussie, where she lives part of the year!!!)

see, we all 'judge' on what we read, not necessarily on what we know

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 17 of 35
Latest reply

Putney 32 - I did not judge PJ, I was curious as to when she slept with a post at 2.32AM. Being in the UK makes sense. I did not make predictions as to how she would respond to the replies as  PJ did in regards to myself. That is judgemental.

Message 18 of 35
Latest reply

I also just checked what time the payment from Paypal came through - 5.12PM on Friday. So it was impossible to post on Friday and before the Post Office has even opened on Monday she has lodged an item not recieved dispute and queries the fact the item hasn't been posted. Sorry, but perhaps on her planet the post offices are open 7 days a week but not here on earth in Australia. Even allowing 2-3 days for clearance by Paypal she is still being hasty lodging a Paypal dispute without even a courtesy message beforehand to ask if item has been posted. When lodging a dispute Paypal asks you to contact seller first before lodging dispute yet she went straight for the dispute. Frankly, I don't have much time for this buyer even if my response was a little over-cooked.

Message 19 of 35
Latest reply

fats017 - what you never ever do is leave a positive with negative comment - all you have done is increase the buyers stars 😞

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 20 of 35
Latest reply