What To Sell?

acenyg
Community Member

The new changes coming will certainly put sellers on the edge. From what I'm reading in the forums, there are some items that will be very difficult to sell on ebay - especially clothes, shoes and fashion accessories. Buyers seem to already create headaches when buying these items now - I can only imagine what will happen once the 180 day money back guarantee arrives. I would also imagine that other items such as electronics, jewellery, tools, antiques, car parts, toys with moving parts etc could also be affected. 

I mainly sell old books and toys. Does that mean buyers can read them and then demand a money back guarantee for all kinds of crazy reasons? 

So what's left to sell? Will sellers abandon the things they have sold (as above) and go to something new? What WILL be safe to sell that might not attract the money back guarantee?

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

What To Sell?

tricky one ace!  I sell collectables mainly along with the old childrens designer clothes (those labels I purchased before I changed direction).  

you asked for thoughts, I've been ebaying since 2005 on my other id and its constantly got harder and harder for the sellers, I think I will give it go and see how it pans out, If I get scammed I'm out of here.   in the meantime I have been building up my private contacts, we've all read the threads like no one directs traffic to your listings like ebay etc...however if there are no sellers, there will be no buyers...

my q is, is this paypal 180 days refund initiative already o/seas websites?  or is this going worldwide

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

What To Sell?

Hi,

I too sell books and I am a bit concerned about the new policies that are about to be put in place.  

I am going to keep going and see what happens.  

I still have a 7 day return policy which I am not sure whether to change or not.  ( I may change it to 14 days)

I do not think a vintage book requires the same guarantees as a brand new item!. 

Occasionally I do list something other than a book, but I do not think I will do that anymore.

I wonder where this is all heading:- eg will eBay in the future just be New Items? 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

What To Sell?

I sell Stamp Albums on CD that I have designed myself. In preparation of the new "improvements" I have decided to update my photos and use all 12 of them. This is in addition to 3 sample pages in the description. All CD's will be shipped with a security seal. I am offerring 180 day return for change of mind or INAD provided the seal is unbroken. I am testing every CD to print a sample page which I am including with the CD. I am also including a complete print out of the auction description to remind the customer what they purchased. In addition, I am providing my email address on all documents and CD to encourage contacting me via email and not EBay or PayPal message system.

Hope that does the trick.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

What To Sell?

stampingpaws, I'm curious....what  is the purpose of a stamp album on CD?  How does one collect stamps electronically?  Or is it used as a guide to what to collect?

Cheers,

Penny
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

What To Sell?

As I understand it PayPal are offering 180 days to dispute an item not as described, item not received.

In a local court the :

First question would be 'What took you so long to decide the item is not as described'.

Or

'Didn't you realise it hadn't arrived 3 months ago or even 2 months ago or even 3 weeks after you purchased.

eBay are offering a 30 day Money Back Guarantee - most items except for those carrying a warranty do not even qualify for this.

eBay are saying the onus is on the seller to prove the item sent was the item described - Hello - it has been sent.

All the seller has are the photos & description.

eBay are going to decide whether the buyer is fraudulent without the necessity of any proof ie the item received - photos of the item received etc.

Good luck with that also eBay - there are always 2 sides to a 'case' - both are necessary to decide an outcome.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

What To Sell?

Well I sell 2nd hand DVDs that I watch then sell onwards I have been doing that for the last 12 months, But finally my collection and family's collection that have been given to me to watch and then get rid of are coming to an end. So I made a decision back in August to start making jewellery and to sell that on ebay, as it is a hobby I enjoy. So I am going to try that and see what happens. I also have a few books left on my site to sell, then its just some odds and ends. I am hoping the jewellery will go well but I will see, it is at least different than what is available on Ebay at moment in jewellery. The DVD's have been good not brilliant or anything but not bad either, but with the 180 days, I am worried it is too easy to say that the disc doesn't work anymore because they didn't like the movie or are sick of it etc etc etc... Who knows at least with jewellery if there is a problem I could most likely fix it, without having to do a refund.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

What To Sell?

. Buyers seem to already create headaches when buying these items now

In all the years I have been selling clothes on ebay I have only had one (cerise) buyer who would have caused a headache if I didn't have a wierd sense of humour and found the whole thing very entertaining especially as financially I came out of it better off. 

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply