What do you love bout selling on eBay ?

Discuss ....

Message 1 of 70
Latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

If someone had told me 5 years ago that I would develop a business on eBay, particularly with the products I have, I would most definitely have thought they were crazy. Making / selling jewellery wasn't even ever a thing I thought I wanted to do - my entire career is eBay's fault. Smiley LOL (I'm gettin' to the point, just taking the scenic route, self indulgence thing, sorry Smiley Tongue ).

When I opened my store, it was all clothing, I knew I needed a bit of variety, so I started getting some accessories here and there. Then I figured, jewellery is another related area to explore, it ain't hard to put together a few little trinkets....

Well, it is easy to put together a few little trinkets, but it's not easy to sell them. I decided if I was going to try and sell jewellery on eBay on a relatively small scale (back then, it was a huge milestone for me to hit $1000 worth of items in my store :D), they had to be unique in some way, so I started looking on line for tips, tutorials n' stuff....not that they did me much good, I sucked at everything I tried, and even my best ideas turned out horrible, so I had boxes full of findings and a bunch of carp (cheap) jewellery no one wanted, and I was about to break it all down and sell it off in bulk lots when I decided to give one more technique a go.

In the beginning, the clothing sales subsidised my foray into jewellery, but over time things began to change and my jewellery was subsidising the clothing.

So, what do I love about selling on eBay? Small success here made me want to be more successful, lack of more success made me determined to learn how to change that - I started with nothing, was inadvertently inspired to acquire a new skill and ultimately turned that into a relatively successful brand and store. In the process, I have learned a wide range of skills in several areas (design, business in general, accounting, customer service, photography and marketing to name a few). 

I get to work at home (pros and cons to that one ๐Ÿ˜„ - con, not many people who come home from work understand what it's like to not be able to do that, pro, I get to go have a coffee and mull over what to say before I respond to a customer query, and can do so in my slippers, or other attire that would be inappropriate in a retail setting...plus I can play whatever music I want at whatever level I want, with no one shooting me disapproving glances...I can also look at webcomics in between admin duties and no one's gonna reprimand me).

I get to send people packages... Ok, that's a given, and doesn't really seem like a big deal, but when I was a young 'un, I would send away for anything and everything that was advertised for free in magazines and newspapers 'cos I just loved getting stuff in the mail. I had samples and prospectuses of all sorts of different things, though my mother had to field phone calls and explain how old I was when people would call and ask if I was still interested in buying property in some new suburb development. The point is, getting packages in the mail is nifty, and now I send mail for a living. ๐Ÿ˜„

I have to buy lots of stationery, and stationery makes me feel all important, productive and business-like. You shoulda seen me at the post office when my printer ran out of ink recently - I was all like "I need printer ink. I'm doing stuff....important business stuff."

I get to browse on eBay and call it R&D.

As already mentioned, I've gotten to meet some really awesome people, not just the buyers I mentioned in another thread recently, but everyone who participates here has in one way or another helped expand and refine my ideas, opinions and knowledge base.

Message 11 of 70
Latest reply

After nearly 6 years selling however I finally managed to save enough for a trip to the US and Cuba for myself and my husband for 5 weeks

I loved Cuba, been there twice but it was many years ago, doubt if it has changed much lol.

Selling gives me more than enough to cover my fare to and from Australia,  it allows me to slowly empty all the bags and bags of clothes I have stored in the loft here in the UK and to clear out my wardrobe in Aus of all but a few favourites every year and buy new clothes.

Of course it has it's downside, without ebay I wouldn't be overrun by foxes (insert very large winking smiley here) and head for the hills.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 12 of 70
Latest reply

I could be wrong, but I think a lot of success in business is selling things that people WANT, not what they NEED. People love to spend money on clothes, jewellery, electronics, but hate spending money on essentials, like car insurance or petrol. I think if I was to give up my day (and night) job and sell full time online, I would have to go with something that people want and feel they can't live without.

I too like to hear my phone go ca-ching! I have the postmans whistle as my notification sound for eBay and I always get excited when I hear that. It either means someone has bid or someone has just paid! Of course it can also mean an item I'm watching is ending, but I still love hearing that sound!

Message 13 of 70
Latest reply

@i-love-my-sheep wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think a lot of success in business is selling things that people WANT, not what they NEED. People love to spend money on clothes, jewellery, electronics, but hate spending money on essentials, like car insurance or petrol. I think if I was to give up my day (and night) job and sell full time online, I would have to go with something that people want and feel they can't live without.

I honestly think it's a combination of both. My business really took off late last year in the lead-up to Christmas, so when I thought about re-investing, I decided to branch out into craft supplies, which has a wide range of personal benefits, but I was actually really frustrated at the lack of availability anywhere of certain types of findings, so the solution was to stock them myself. ๐Ÿ™‚

Craft supplies (particularly jewellery findings) is a bit of a need and want type of product, in that while it's something that's a bit of a luxury and can facilitate an interest and hobby, a lot of people make and sell jewellery, so it also becomes a requirement. It's also flexible in that you can provide several price points - anything from small retail lots to bulk wholesale. Stocking the findings actually tripled my average monthly turnover in only a few months. Smiley Surprised

I don't have a smart phone as yet, though, so no cha-ching for me. ๐Ÿ˜ž  Smiley LOL 

Message 14 of 70
Latest reply

Like others I love being able to go to work in my thongs and comfy ( see very worn ) clothes. I love not having to answer to a boss, being told when I can make a coffee or go to the loo. I love working in my office which has a big picture window overlooking a river with people walking their dogs and jogging out the front of my house. I love making a living in comfort after decades of physical back breaking work and I,ve got to be honest here. I do enjoy going to the post office in my thongs and comfy ( see worn with holes ) clothes and standing in line with my large suitcase on wheels full of parcels. All of the other office workers etc. doing their mail are neatly dressed all prim and propper.

Message 15 of 70
Latest reply

Bumping for some more inspiration .....

Procrastinating about listing again, and spending too much time reading old threads Cat Embarassed

Surrounded by stock that will not sell itself ...

Message 16 of 70
Latest reply

The constant state of confusion......keeps your mind sharp, lol.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 17 of 70
Latest reply

Looking at my bank account.Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 70
Latest reply

Well it used to be a bit of fun - a great opportunity to earn a few (very few) dollars - and even better opportunity to buy unusual, vintage or collectable things that are hard to come by.

But lately, it's not much fun - too hard to find anything to buy - too much overseas garbage - and the selling bit is getting just too hard, too many changes, not enough support for sellers, terrible new defect policy;  

If they bring in the 180 return thing, that will be the last straw for me I think.   Better look for a new hobby Smiley Sad

Message 19 of 70
Latest reply

It gets me out of doing other 'stuff'. I've been on the end of a paintbrush this week and I said I couldn't help today because I had to eBay.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 20 of 70
Latest reply