What has happened to ebay? No sales it is frightening .Anyone else ??????

I have never seen it like this lots on watch but no sales for days.

Message 1 of 148
Latest reply
147 REPLIES 147

I hardly get any watchers.

I hardly get any views, for that matter!

It seems to really depend on what you're selling. I sell clothing, so I've found 'bigger' sizes (12-18) get more sales than 'smaller' sizes (4-8), and common items like denim jackets & black dresses go really well, but jeans/skirts/tops are harder to shift.

Most items I list have only 20 or so views in their listing period. Once I had a size 12 black evening dress that had 109 views. I was stoked!

So my message is: look carefully at what you're selling. Is it really that much in demand to even be trying to sell it? If it's not worth much anyway, give it away!!

Message 2 of 148
Latest reply

Years back, my sister and I used to sell a lot of stuff-often clothes & shoes etc

Our finding was that we did best with 'good' brands where the item was in excellent condition.

We also did very well with high heel shoes and boots, but didn't get as much for flatties, even when they were expensive brands.

That was back then & I think it would be harder to sell clothes on ebay nowadays because so many of the shops and brand names have their own websites & sales now. So many people subscribe to the sales websites now-you just have to browse through Noni B, Postie etc, you name it.

Message 3 of 148
Latest reply

Interesting, I haven't tried selling shoes yet!!
Message 4 of 148
Latest reply

@jessicadazzler wrote:
Interesting, I haven't tried selling shoes yet!!

Try stilettos in mens sizes, wont have to compete with B & M shops then...lolSmiley Wink

I made a killing on them years ago..All sent to PO boxes.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 5 of 148
Latest reply

My sales have settled on a steadty 30% of what they were upto  Xmas. Not doing anything different, and in fact have more stock.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 6 of 148
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

I had almost ZERO traffic for the past month, up to a few days ago.

Then all of a sudden, I sell 10 items in 24 hours, and still selling steadily. 

Someone turned the switch back on.

Message 7 of 148
Latest reply

I'm thinking 2 things:

1. There is now no doubt what so ever that "Throttling" exists. It has become worse than ever since Ebay got into bed with the big Stores & the number of Ex Employees who are now coming forward & confirming it cannot be ignored.

2. The Feedback I'm getting from my regular buyers & the Public in general is that Ebay is rapidly gaining an EXTREMELY bad name out there in Consumer Land. People have always been cautious about buying here because of Scamming Sellers, but now with the O/S Junk Merchant invasion they are down right terrified !!! Combine that with the enormous FVFs being charged that just have to be passed on & Buyers are avoiding Ebay like the plague. They know that most items can be sourced direct on other Websites a lot cheaper & they're not afraid go that way.

A possible 3rd influence is our massive Postal Charges. Buying something on Ebay from an Aust. Seller who has to charge the ridiculously high Postage & then pass on EBay's FVF on top of it is just not an option when they can go directly O/S, pay a lesser price & generally the same or less postage.

I don't know about anyone else but I used to be proud to tell people that I operated a Store on Ebay & a lot of people used to ask me more about it & say "good for you" - But now I find that when I mention it, people just give me a funny look & either regard it as a bit of a joke or keep their distance from me...

Our only hope - And unfortunately at the moment I believe it is more of a dream, is that the present CEO is sent packing, the WHOLE of Ebay is put through a major overhaul & returned to something close to what it used to be. Even if the G'ment comes to it's senses & MAKES them abide by the Law -

I've written things like this before here & although everyone says Ebay don't read these Boards I've noticed that when I do I'm punished - My Sales dry up for a while..... Well my Sales have been zilch since November anyway so I no longer care..... (might end up with a heap of Defects & be closed down - lol)

Message 8 of 148
Latest reply

so sick of being ripped off especially with brand new electrical items.

Message 9 of 148
Latest reply

@hamsy3 wrote:

I'm thinking 2 things:

1. There is now no doubt what so ever that "Throttling" exists. It has become worse than ever since Ebay got into bed with the big Stores & the number of Ex Employees who are now coming forward & confirming it cannot be ignored.

2. The Feedback I'm getting from my regular buyers & the Public in general is that Ebay is rapidly gaining an EXTREMELY bad name out there in Consumer Land. People have always been cautious about buying here because of Scamming Sellers, but now with the O/S Junk Merchant invasion they are down right terrified !!! Combine that with the enormous FVFs being charged that just have to be passed on & Buyers are avoiding Ebay like the plague. They know that most items can be sourced direct on other Websites a lot cheaper & they're not afraid go that way.

A possible 3rd influence is our massive Postal Charges. Buying something on Ebay from an Aust. Seller who has to charge the ridiculously high Postage & then pass on EBay's FVF on top of it is just not an option when they can go directly O/S, pay a lesser price & generally the same or less postage.

I don't know about anyone else but I used to be proud to tell people that I operated a Store on Ebay & a lot of people used to ask me more about it & say "good for you" - But now I find that when I mention it, people just give me a funny look & either regard it as a bit of a joke or keep their distance from me...

Our only hope - And unfortunately at the moment I believe it is more of a dream, is that the present CEO is sent packing, the WHOLE of Ebay is put through a major overhaul & returned to something close to what it used to be. Even if the G'ment comes to it's senses & MAKES them abide by the Law -

I've written things like this before here & although everyone says Ebay don't read these Boards I've noticed that when I do I'm punished - My Sales dry up for a while..... Well my Sales have been zilch since November anyway so I no longer care..... (might end up with a heap of Defects & be closed down - lol)

A very good summary! I think consumer confidence in eBay is at an all time low; as I said on a different thread the other day, it only takes a few bad experiences for word to get around, not even from just buyers. Most who hear some of the horror stories recently from sellers, won't distinguish from scamming sellers or buyers, they will just tend to flag the story as 'avoid eBay'. Sadly we are seeing the consequences, not the only reason of course, but one final nail in the coffin perhaps? Like you, I think it is a combination of the things you detailed.

on the new CEO changing direction; it all depends if, as some are suggesting, the plan was to elimante the small time sellers all along. Ebay looks to be part of the effort to eliminate all buying options, leaving jsut the big players in play. The only option I see for change is alternative sites popping up, realistic alternatives that have a presence.

Message 10 of 148
Latest reply