What to do about this buyer?

cq_tech
Community Member

I live in SEQ and a couple of days ago I received a Paypal Instant Payment for a DVD from a buyer who lives down near Nowra in NSW, except he paid for the item only, no postage, and didn't bother including a note to let me know his intentions, so after having heard nothing from him for over 24 hours, I sent the following email...

I note that you live in NSW yet have elected not to pay for postage, in which case I assume you are arranging to have somebody pick up the above item in person.

Therefore, can you or your agent please call me on (07) XXXX XXXX between 9am - 9pm in order to arrange a mutually agreeable time to pick up the item, at which time I will be happy to disclose my full address?

Well over 24 hours later and I've still heard absolutely nothing from this person and I'm starting to become a little concerned. I'd sooner just refund his payment and be done with it but of course I can't do that without copping a defect and probably a neg. I know it's only been just on 3 days now and chances are that I'll hear from him fairly soon, but what happens if I don't?

Has anybody else had this happen, and if so, how did you resolve it?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Hi Cq, were you wrote you got an instant payment for the item only, it leads me to beleve the buyer did so out of ebay, i could be wrong though, did you get a email from ebay telling you your item sold? (Dunno if members still get them if selling), maybe ring ebay and see if you will get a slap by refunding through friends or family thing on paypal, hope you work it out!
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

You got postage on the DVD's how did they just pay for the DVD??

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

How is it possible to pay only for the item and not the postage on Ebay as the item price and postage are automatically combined on checkout.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

I'm also curious how did the buyer pay for the item but not the postage as the total amount has to be paid,how does a buyer get around not paying that? 

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

@naomi15b wrote:

I'm also curious how did the buyer pay for the item but not the postage as the total amount has to be paid,how does a buyer get around not paying that? 

If I'm reading correctly, the OP has local pickup as an option on his listings, so I assume the buyer has selected that. The problem is that the buyer appears to be located in a different state, so it seems unlikely that they're going to pick up. (I'll bet they bought via phone, selected cheapest postage and did not notice that that was pick up.)

For local pick up, there's no paypal buyer protection, so the only problem will be if the buyer does an ebay MBG. This appears not to cover local pick-up items either, so the only problem will be if ebay apply their own rules incorrectly.

Ebay MBG - "Not covered : Items damaged during pick-up or postage or not delivered when the buyer arranges pick-up or delivery of the item (for instance, the buyer arranges freight"

The OP isn't at much financial risk here, but is at a risk of defects when the buyer attempts to find out why they haven't got their item and sends a message with the wrong header. (Ebay will possibly/probably remove these on appeal, but it will be a pain.)

Nothing to do hear but send the appropriate ebay message (as the OP has already done) and wait for the buyer to organise shipping/collection. Personally, I would probably phone if I didn't hear back from the buyer within a week.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Yes I have had it happen and I phoned the buyer to sort it out. They didn't realise what they had done so they paid for the postage separately.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

To stampdog  it could easily still be a pick up [i mainly only sell pick up onlys, and get orders from interstate even another country ,but its normaly the buyer has not changed there address on ebay or they have friends and family near buy,  but its still strange for a little fee of a dvd postage ,  so many posibilitys.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

To everybody who wondered how the buyer could pay for the item only (no postage) stampdog is quite right when he suggests that I have the pickup option selected in my listings.

I've had interstate buyers in the past who have paid for the item only and had friends or relatives who live locally collect the item on their behalf and I don't have an issue with that.

However, such buyers normally send an email to indicate that this is the case but on this occasion I've heard absolutely nothing from the buyer and neither has he replied to my email.

If I've still heard nothing by the end of the week, I suppose I'll have to contact eBay and get their phone number and give them a call. Lot of work for a lousy $6.90 sale though.
Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Thanks Jen, it's looking like I'll have to do the same thing. It's a nuisance because it's not something that you do by accident. The buyer has to physically tick a box which indicates that he wants to pick up the item and with 253 prior transactions, it's not as if this buyer's a novice either.
Message 10 of 16
Latest reply