What would you do here?

Rcently my sister and I listed a pick up only bulk item & they 'sold' to someone who looks very much like they may be a dealer, with a FB score of over 82,000. The auction deliberately ended on a Friday as weekends suit a lot of people for pick up.

When the auction ended, my sister sent a message just to make contact and ask when they would like to arrange to collect the items.

No reply.

She sent a couple of other messages, she included her address & mobile number in case that made it easier.

She did not get any reply at all till about 6 days after the auction. All it said was-might have to be the weekend.

She messaged back and said she would like them collected by this weekend. No reply.

Yesterday morning the man sent a 3 word message via ebay- 'are you home'. My sister isn't on a computer 24/7 and didn't see the email till lunchtime, by which stage he had sent a second, saying, "Didn't you get my message". She replied immediately to say she was home & when would he like to collect?

No reply.

This is a person you would think knows very well how ebay works. At no time has he contacted my sister in advance or tried to arrange any mutually agreeable time.

He has ignored most of her messages yet expected instant responses to his own.

I have suggested not to mess around any more. To start an unpaid item dispute tomorrow if she doesn't hear from him.

Is this fair enough and where will she stand if he claims he 'tried' to pick up?

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

What would you do here?

With pick up items I always send my phone number straight away and ask them to call to arrange pick up, it is much easier having a 'real time' conversation for something like that. If I haven't heard anything by day 3 then I pull their contact details and call them.

In your case I would probabl still give them a call and if they don't come to the party in a timely manner I would just open the dispute.

If the buyer still doesn't make arrangements just close the dispute on day 4 and that is the end of it, if they arrive and pay before the 4 days are up the only down side would be if they left a neg which could be appealed on the grounds it was the buyer who was messing around.

I would rather have a payment and a neg than no payment and no neg.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

I would message them saying the item is to be picked up by such and such a date, and if that date passes and if they dont pick up, start a npd, and if they do pay via paypal to neg you afterwards, id ring ebay and appeal the neg, but thats just my opinion, someone else will probably have a better idea.
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 3 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

Thanks for your ideas.

As it happens, my sister had sent through her mobile number and address just after the end of the auction, just as PJ suggested.

And here we are, about 10 days out and he still has never made the slightest effort to set up a time/date for collection.

I think this is just a time waster and as he is obviously a seller on ebay, with over 82,000 Feedback, I would be intrigued to know how he deals with anyone who buys from him and doesn't make an effort in 10 days or more.

Surely he won't be surprised when an unpaid item dispute is opened against him.

Message 4 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

After 6 days I would just put in an unpaid item dispute, and see what happens.

Message 5 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

if it was me and i had waited 10 days i would just relist it and cancel the transaction.. dont waste any more time on the deadbeat,

and add him to your blocked bidder list

Message 6 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

@jbmbkb wrote:

if it was me and i had waited 10 days i would just relist it and cancel the transaction.. dont waste any more time on the deadbeat,

and add him to your blocked bidder list

No way I'd give the buyer the satisfaction of cancelling the transaction. It would be an immediate unpaid item dispute. Why give them the luxury of getting off scott free, plus being able to trash your feedback and stars for your efforts? Give them the strike they so rightly deserve.

Message 7 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

Well, we have had an interesting development.

Remember, this is a dealer with over 82,000 FB on ebay so he must know a bit about how things work.

My sister opened an unpaid item dispute today and surprise, surprise, she suddenly started getting some ebay messages from him.

The first said he couldn't pick up and would need it posted.

She replied sorry, it was listed as pick up only. Which it certainly was, plus it had this at the end of the ad.

PICK UP ONLY WHEELERS HILL

Pick up can also be arranged from Endeavour Hills.

SORRY, WILL NOT POST. 

The man replied that since she was being so difficult he would have no alternative but to pay by paypal and then she would be obliged to post.

My sister rang ebay and the rep looked at the ad, looked at the messages and said he may pay by paypal if he wishes but it is still a pick up only item.

Apparently my sister said she was sick of it and was willing to just cancel the whole thing and pay the ebay fees rather than go to the bother of dealing with him but the rep said no, not possible once a dispute is opened. (I would not want her to start a cancellation anyway as I know she is the one who would get a defect.)

I have told her. Stick to your guns. This guy is bluffing, he thinks you will be intimidated and believe him.
Let him pay via paypal, do not agree to postage, just say postage was not included in the price, thankyou for payment, please contact to arrange a mutually agreeable pick up time.

I can see some problems even if she did agree to post. He only has a PO box registered as the address and the bulk items (over 80 CDs) would not fit anyway. Plus the items are listed as used and not checked for minor scratches etc. Better he picks up and checks for himself to make sure he's happy.

Why do we always have to strike the difficult ones??

Message 8 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

Glad to see you sticking to your guns.

And keep being polite as pie, won't give him any opportunity to think he is right. Smiley Wink

P.S. You're not alone on the difficult buyers, and I am pretty flexible.

image host
Message 9 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

I had a buyer who bought a pickup only item earlier this month and paid by paypal and never replied to any of my messages about pickup.  so I read on the forum boards refund it less your ebay fvfees and relist.  I did that.  still haven't heard anything!!

Message 10 of 46
Latest reply