Who is subsidising this?

I listed an item earlier today and when I went to view at it how it looks in my shop I saw this annotation on the listing (see pic).

Who exactly is offering this 10% off, because it sure ain't me!

When I scroll over the link, it gives a voucher redemption code.

I'm not sure I understand exactly who is benfitting here?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Who is subsidising this?

eBay will randomnly select listings that qualify for the buyers to get a discount.

You get the full amount and eBay pay the difference.

image host
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Who is subsidising this?

That's a discount funded by eBay, and will show for you on pretty much every listing you look at at the moment, because if you see it it means eBay has given you a voucher, so anyone who doesn't have a voucher won't see the discount (I have one for 10% off too - can't really use it though because it's for this ID and my PP is registered to a different email address). 

If someone uses the voucher to buy your item, then you receive the full payment, but the buyer pays the discounted price, with eBay paying the rest. (Just in case it comes in handy to know, when a buyer uses a voucher to purchase, partial refunds - for things like excess postage or what have you - can not be issued from PayPal). 

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Who is subsidising this?

@cushioncovers wrote:

I listed an item earlier today and when I went to view at it how it looks in my shop I saw this annotation on the listing (see pic).

Who exactly is offering this 10% off, because it sure ain't me!

When I scroll over the link, it gives a voucher redemption code.

I'm not sure I understand exactly who is benfitting here?

Hopefully you are benefiting 🙂

as well as the buyer !!

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Who is subsidising this?

For once I agree with you Cats.

I am about to buy some items that have been on my watch list just waiting for such a promotion....the seller gets a sale that he would not have had without the discount and I get the goods that I would not have bought without the discount.

Win...win for both of us.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Who is subsidising this?

If someone uses the voucher to buy your item, then you receive the full payment, but the buyer pays the discounted price, with eBay paying the rest.

Digital - surely Ebay is not paying the rest - we, the sellers are actually paying for this as the money for the subsidy is coming out of our fees.

Techinically sellers are paying for the discount.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Who is subsidising this?

Well, you can look at it that way. Pretty much everything eBay does is funded by the profits from fees, or investors I suppose, including all of the things like advertising, promotions, affiliate programs and the like, all of which are desinged tto bring traffic and sales. The fees are the same regardless of whether a buyer with a discount happens to buy an item though, so the alternative would be something like lower fees and less promos etc
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply