Why Oh why do people offer outrages offers?

why is it ppl make outrages offers and then if u make an offer just as bad back they get upset??

ie item price $27.59 offer price $2.00 and if u counter with something like $27.50 they get upset?

I know I know why offer in first place? many reasons including to "get rid of" older stck or items that have become over priced due to time or just because ppl buy numerous items its easy to then discount ect ect ect.

Just a grip I guess lol

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

If you think eBay is bad try Gumtree.

You'll get flooded with 'offers' that someone would have to be either drunk or stupid to make and even if you accept them there's a 50/50 chance they won't turn up to collect.

I've even seen offers a friend received to swap something they were selling with some junk the buyer wanted to get rid of.

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

I've found best offer works well. Only a handful of people will bother to make an offer, most paying the full listed price.

Best to list at a little above what you really want, and when they make an offer, it is usually close to what you wanted anyway.

The really low offers I ignore completely, and some that are a little on the low side I try to bring up to an acceptable level with a counter offer.

When I was selling a lot of brand new DVDs, most people would make an offer to knock out the $1.70 postage, which worked well as there was good margins, and the buyer was happy as they managed to get a discount.
Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

People do it because they can, and because there's always that chance it'll be accepted (it's not unheard of for a seller to intend to decline or counter-offer, but mistakenly accept instead, and a lot will honour it anyway as it was their mistake).

I haven't used best offer in a really long time, but I only ever counter-offered if I could take the offer at least somewhat seriously. If it was well below my lowest price, I'd just outright decline as I honestly didn't see the point in entering into negotiations when the starting point was ridiculous. 

After a while, I used the auto-decline option instead, so the system would automatically reject anything too low, but I could manually review anything above the price I'd set (it'd usually be a bit lower than my every day lowest price, just in case someone made offers a little under my acceptable prices, but on a high enough quantity of items to allow a little bit more flexibility on price).

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

@newnuseddvdbookscds wrote:

why is it ppl make outrages offers and then if u make an offer just as bad back they get upset??

ie item price $27.59 offer price $2.00 and if u counter with something like $27.50 they get upset?

I know I know why offer in first place? many reasons including to "get rid of" older stck or items that have become over priced due to time or just because ppl buy numerous items its easy to then discount ect ect ect.

Just a grip I guess lol

Personally as a seller I accept buyers will and do insult me but one thing I would not ever do is insult a potential buyer how do you know they did not mistype $2.00 and meant to put $25 or something by insulting them with $27.50 you send them hopefully my way 🙂 

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

I play it exactly the same way DG.

The one time I was really really low-balled - offered something like $10 on a $120 dress, I replied with one cent under the BIN price with a funny message.  I actually tried to put in an offer over my BIN but found out you can't LOL.  That was fun.

Interestingly enough, I found out that blocked buyers can use best offer to circumvent the blocks.  So I had a buyer make a very reasonable offer which was above what I was aiming for, then later after the thing was sent out, saw my buyer requirements because I have a look out of curiousity from time to time, and found out I did myself out of about $12 because she had tried to buy it outright about a dozen times.  Doh! (was a low feedback score one)  Go figure.

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

@247newdeals wrote:

Personally as a seller I accept buyers will and do insult me but one thing I would not ever do is insult a potential buyer how do you know they did not mistype $2.00 and meant to put $25 or something by insulting them with $27.50 you send them hopefully my way 🙂 

I'm with you on this one because I have actually had a buyer make a typo in their offer.  Similar situation, I think BIN was something like $26 and they offered $12.  I did Counteroffer and they messaged straight back, so apologetic.  Well who knows, were they just trying their luck, or was it genuine.  I prefer to think it was genuine Smiley Happy

I mainly offer Best Offer (as has already been mentioned) for buyers who want to buy several items and/or multiple quantities - I wish there was a way we could specify that though, would save a lot of time.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

@black*poppy wrote:

I play it exactly the same way DG.

The one time I was really really low-balled - offered something like $10 on a $120 dress, I replied with one cent under the BIN price with a funny message.  I actually tried to put in an offer over my BIN but found out you can't LOL.  That was fun.

Interestingly enough, I found out that blocked buyers can use best offer to circumvent the blocks.  So I had a buyer make a very reasonable offer which was above what I was aiming for, then later after the thing was sent out, saw my buyer requirements because I have a look out of curiousity from time to time, and found out I did myself out of about $12 because she had tried to buy it outright about a dozen times.  Doh! (was a low feedback score one)  Go figure.

That's very interesting & shocking to know, and also something I would consider a MAJOR glitch in the system !!

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

@newnuseddvdbookscds wrote:

Just a grip I guess lol

Because you allow them to.

There are settings to allow auto-decline or auto-accept. If you feel you must allow offers, maybe make use of the tools available. That way neither you nor the potential buyer will have to hyperventilate.

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

Because they have three shots at it and each time you may move a little more, so they use them all. They dont seriously expect you to accept first one. They also potentially do this to many sellers and some will move substantially. Resellers will do this playing the odds game

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 10 of 26
Latest reply