Why Oh why do people offer outrages offers?

why is it ppl make outrages offers and then if u make an offer just as bad back they get upset??

ie item price $27.59 offer price $2.00 and if u counter with something like $27.50 they get upset?

I know I know why offer in first place? many reasons including to "get rid of" older stck or items that have become over priced due to time or just because ppl buy numerous items its easy to then discount ect ect ect.

Just a grip I guess lol

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

247 good point thats one although unlikely I never thought of ..... and sorry probably wont send them your way as its VERY rare for me to do that like another poster said normally I just iggy the offer or outright refuse it. I used to make a counter offer on even the most insulting however after one customer and about 50 offers (once your item relists the 3 offers start again) we finally agreed on a price that was 10 times more than his first offer however he then said  let me think about it lmao oh my needless to say he is unable I thought to make offers anymore but mayb I could be wrong lol

thanks for the replies guys like I said just a rant from me 🙂 have a good 1

Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

why is it ppl make outrages offers and then if u make an offer just as bad back they get upset??

ie item price $27.59 offer price $2.00 and if u counter with something like $27.50 they get upset?

I know I know why offer in first place? many reasons including to "get rid of" older stck or items that have become over priced due to time or just because ppl buy numerous items its easy to then discount ect ect ect.

-----------------------

I was bemused to read some others say they would not insult the potential buyer with that sort of counter offer.

But it has been my experience that most best offers work exactly like that or maybe 50c off, if you are lucky.

If someone gets upset and sends a message that your counter offer is ridiculous, just reply it is no more ridiculous or insulting than their offer.

Let's be honest here, if they are offering $2, they're not serious, you're not going to sell anything to them anyway, so just tell it as it is.Smiley Very Happy

Personally though I would just set your controls so ridiculous offers get an auto rejection and you don't have to deal with them. Nothing like a no bouncing back immediately to let a buyer know the state of play.

Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

I am another who sees no reason to clutter up my mail or my life with offers I would not accept so use the auto accept or refuse.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

Yes the auto reject is a very nice option. I must admit though I have it set alot lower than I should but it does get rid of a number of "pests". One of the problems I have/had with a number of my listings is for some time I was listing thru another site (my own store) and it did not allow me to set the auto reject so as such many of my listings dont have that great feature. As my items range in price from $4 to $100 its in my 2 hard basket to set the auto decline unless someone knows an easy way to bulk do it with such a large price range?

Cheers guys

Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

I use the auto-decline or auto-accept option in my best offer listings. The only problem I find is that I have some non-payers, if I did not have the option in place, the non-payers would rise considerably more.

Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

Why have best offer on all your listings?

Especially $4 ones. Unless you're unsure of value, there is little point.

I have best offer on very few listings - and they are all over $100. I will need to revise the auto-reject as I now offer a 10% discount on all my listings for sales over $20.

Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

Damn you guys/girls are making me jealous I wish there was enough of a profit margin for me to be able to take offers 😉

Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

@247newdeals wrote:

Damn you guys/girls are making me jealous I wish there was enough of a profit margin for me to be able to take offers 😉

I'm no expert, but it is my understanding, recent sales put you higher up the list in the search rankings - so, in my opinion - if sales are a bit slow, sometimes it's advantageous to forfeit a little profit on one item for the long term gain Smiley Wink  Most of my items are very low profit, so I do consider several factors when accepting or counter offering (eg how much stock I have, how well the particular item sells, how many items the buyer wants to purchase, if they're a regular customer etc). 

For me, it is not only about the offer price - but that's just me, I know not everyone will agree.  And I will never sell anything too cheap as to me that devalues the item and may be interpreted by the buyer that you were charging too much in the first place Smiley Surprised

Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

I assume that my buyers are looking for specific books, not just browsing, and will sort by ANYTHING other than 'best' match, so I don't care where my itemsd are BM-wise.

Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

I guess it depends what product you're selling to some extent.  I find, if a certain charm for example sells today, I will get more sales of that same charm over the next few days - not always, but quite regularly.  Sometimes it will catch me a bit unaware & they will keep selling until I'm very low on stock - not complaining though, and that doesn't happen often enough Smiley LOL !!

Message 20 of 26
Latest reply