Why buy it then??????

Just had a customer purchase an item from my store for $129.95. She sent me a message saying she has seen the same item on anther EBay store for $124.00 including 2 pairs of free socks. She said "seeing as I paid $129.95, can you give me 2 pairs of socks for free".

What?????

Just having a rant............

Message 1 of 69
Latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Why buy it then??????

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just reply with something simple, professional and factual like "im sorry, this listing does not come with free socks. Thanks for your understanding and have a great day"

or something like that

Message 21 of 69
Latest reply

Why buy it then??????

Maybe you could offer the buyer a buy one get one free.  If they would like to purchase a pair of socks you would send a second pair free.  This would be a compromise and maybe get another sale.

Message 22 of 69
Latest reply

Why buy it then??????

The free socks are obviously a drawcard.

I am a bit stunned that this buyer would automatically assume you have masses of new socks just lying around.

I  checked out your listings and can only see one pair of socks and they were good quality socks, probably a lot better than the freebies the woman would get with the other boots. She couldn't reasonably expect you to post 2 pairs of those!!

It would be tempting to ignore her message but I think DJ had the right of it-answer her with a factual message

As to the reply, though, I do completely understand the temptation, but I'd personally keep it simple - i.e. something like thanks for your purchase, socks are not included with this item, thank you for understanding. Kind regards.  

I would probably add that the item had already been posted. With a bit of luck she will think you only saw her message after posting.

But I would be willing to bet she will mark down your stars  on postage cost or something like that.

Still, better for that to happen for a $130 sale than a cheap sale anyway, look on the bright side.

Message 23 of 69
Latest reply

Why buy it then??????

@allsafetysolutions1 wrote:

Yep - just checked then and there is a seller on there for $124.95 with 2 free pairs of socks. Funnily enough, this store has sold over 908 pairs of these boots and I have only sold 103.

Ok, that makes their actions (and request) a bit more unusual to me, I was kind of trying to think why would someone buy the more expensive one, with no freebies listed, then ask for them from the other seller? Smiley Frustrated (eg all sizes are listed in stock in the other shop, they use AP express so it wouldn't be a PO box issue or anything, maybe the buyer was blocked by that seller for other reasons, though).

The most notable difference (aside from price and/or socks) is I guess turnover... So, I would be tempted to use that to my advantage if I replied, and probably say something like "thank you for choosing to support small Australian business on eBay, it means a lot to us. As I'm sure you can understand, we're not always able to match the offers available elsewhere, but we certainly do our best to exceed our competitors in our attention to detail and customer service. Thanks again for choosing All Safety Solutions, and have a lovely day. Kind regards...." 

Message 24 of 69
Latest reply

Why buy it then??????

"Thank you for shopping with me.  I regret I am unable to assist with your request for free socks, for a number of reasons. 

1. I am not offering free product giveaways at the present time.

2. I do not stock socks.

3. Your item has already been dispatched.

Whilst I do not normally accept change of mind returns, if you would prefer to accept a refund so that you can purchase from the other seller, once you receive them, you may return the items by trackable means and at your expense, and I will refund the original purchase price, less postage and a 5% restocking fee to cover out of pocket expenses."

Bet you don't get a return request.   And if they leave a neg, eBay should remove it based on her admission that it was a change of mind situation and your offer to refund.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 25 of 69
Latest reply

Why buy it then??????

how about 2 number of reasons they do sell socks

Message 26 of 69
Latest reply

Why buy it then??????

just checked the ops  oposition store  for a start its 1 pair of socks ,looks like 2 pairs but it shows front and back tags .

very impresive store  looks like sells all sizes free postage as ops aus post, but $5 cheaper with a $10 pair of socks .thats what they sell for in there store .

so must be a reason of maybe there blocked or what ,mmmm

Message 27 of 69
Latest reply

Why buy it then??????

No not necessarily, Joe.

I wouldn't be surprised if she came across the cheaper boots after she had made her purchase & paid.

Then she felt hard done by and thought she would try to claw back what she thinks she lost.

Message 28 of 69
Latest reply

Why buy it then??????

you could be right   springy

Message 29 of 69
Latest reply

Why buy it then??????

Either way, she was pretty cheeky. I know in real stores you can sometimes get a price match etc but you need to do it before a purchase, bit rich asking for discounts after a sale.

If it worked that way, I would be constantly back at the supermarket asking for the newest special price.Smiley Very Happy

Well, maybe not, too much bother.

Message 30 of 69
Latest reply