Why can't i list DVDs and CDs without adding a UPC?

It seems Turbo Lister won't allow me to list a DVD or CD for sale unless I add a UPC.   Even when I add the correct UPC to the item, it still gives me an error and will now allow me to proceed.   Is this a bug?   Or has eBay once again decided to change it's policy?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

It's the new policy.
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure if you'd be keen on downplaying the condition of your items, however, according to the link that stawks has provided above, you shouldn't need to include UPC information if you list your items as 'Like New' rather than 'Brand New'.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

gec2002
Community Member

Maybe if you tried selling local DVDs with Australian EANs and Region 4 instead of imports it wouldn't be a problem.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Worth asking on the Powersellers boards.

You'll get some more useful tips on that board I think.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Hows he going to get a better answer than the reason I gave.  It is why its not working.  I didn't write the program I am just saying why it won't work.

Eg Rush Australian Region 4 DVD  9321337148236 Works in TL

Rush English Region 2 DVD     025192150562  (Only 12 digits) Doesn't work TL

Google both and you will see they are the same movie

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Settle petal.

I posted some more useful tips - lol.

I suggested it as the OP may get additional information and work-a-arounds that enable them to list. 

Information, advice and tips (though not huge in volume) are still more plentiful as far as I can see on the Power Sellers Board than has been provided on the selling boards generally.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

12 digit barcodes are standard UPC (American format) barcodes; EANs have 13 digits. That said, UPCs are still common on items not for the American market - a lot of first party Nintendo games have a UPC starting with 045496 for example, even though they were Australian releases.

The only difference between the two is the first digit. Australian EANs usually have a 9 at the front (also shared with NZ and ISBN barcodes). To convert a UPC to an EAN barcode, simply put a zero at the front of the barcode (this is the same rule for 8 digit EAN barcodes, just pad the front with zeroes). In that case, the UPC "0 25192 15056 2" would become "0 025192 150562" (remove the spaces and quotes) but the barcode itself would be unchanged.

If you have a webcam, you can actually scan your own items with it using ZBar (open source) or a similar program and it will return the barcode at the terminal/command prompt window - UPCs are automatically converted to EAN format.
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Yes you are correct, however the other difference is that if you are selling using TL on eBay Australia most (But not all) UPCs (Padded or not) are not recognised by the TL australian database so come up blank.  So in the example I used above 025192150562 or 0025192150562 are not recognised but 9321337148236 is.  Both are recognised in Google.  Games are different but the OP asked about DVDs and CDs.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply